Beer bread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever make this stuff? I got a box of it among my Christmas gifts and have never had it or made it. What's the best beer to use? It calls for one bottle (12 oz I think). I was thinking either a really good dark or Mexican (maybe a Shiner Black or Corona).

Isnt bread really thick wheat beer anyhow?

Ive had it and I thinbk liked what was made - don't know what beer was used. My wife is always making a sourdough something or another but is now on the "gluten free" bandwagon. I think wheat can be fine in a diet as long as its ancient or traditional grain and not gen mod or covered with Monsanto, DOW toxic something or whatever.

My wife has a good recipe for a potato and herbed cheese bread that's worth baking.

For this purpose, beer is pretty much just sugar water with a bittering agent (hops). The alcohol will slow the yeast activity a little, so allow a few minutes extra rising time with a higher alcohol beer.

I used to make it a lot. the recipe i had called for self-rising flour (to counteract the alcohol killing the yeast i imagine), but haven't done so in years...(I'm 34 now, last time i made some i wasn't yet of drinking age....)and lord knows were the recipe went...

Downunder, bread made without yeast is oft referred to as damper. (I think US equivalent is soda bread).

2 cups self raising flour, 1 stubbie of beer (375ml, don't use a Northern Territory stubbie)...mix, let sit for a bit, then bake.

Back in the day I preferred a "bitter" beer in my beer bread.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
... I think wheat can be fine in a diet as long as its ancient or traditional grain and not gen mod or covered with Monsanto, DOW toxic something or whatever.

Along these lines, wheat does multiple bad things to me, yet Kamut is fine. Both contain gluten.
Bread can be made from Kamut just like wheat, no funny extra ingredients needed.
But Kamut is hard to find. For a while I had a source of Kamut bread, but that dried up a few years ago.
I learned to skip the bread.

+1 on Shiner Bock. Black might be too strong...taste more like pumpernickel. I would recommend not using a hoppy beer as it might produce a bitter bread, thus my rec to use a nice, sweet, smooth lager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back