which oil to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
heading down to columbus tomorrow midday to preform a LONG overdue oil change on the vibe. (last one was 07/11/13)
(our schedules don't overlap often enough, i rarely get weekends off, he has a M-F 9-5)
I have plenty of Pureones for it (SHOCK! OH NOES! THE TEARS!! -I'm not worried)
and 4 oils to chose from (arraigned Oldest to Newest)
1)my Frankenbrew (VOA Linked) of leftovers from previous 9 oil changes (a "heavy 5w20" per Blackstone)
2)PP 5w30 (at least a year old)
3)Castrol GTX 5w30
4)PYB 5w30

How far overdue is your LOF change?

You might consider two shorter OCI's to get back on track to your original plan.

Changing the engine oil on time is probably more important than the brand or weight of oil. With that said, using the 30-weight dino oils in the summer and the 20-weight or PP synthetic in the winter makes sense.

Your frankenbrew VOA appears to be a heavy 5W-20 weight oil.

my goal is always 5k/6mo, whichever comes first...and today is 3mo shy of a year. (no idea on the current miles, that would be asking him to remember too much...)

whatever goes in will be the summer run, plan to change it in Oct.... but plans are made to be broken...

the vibe is my buddies car, and as stated earlier, our work schedules don't often line up, and there's a 100mi drive between us. I've told him, it won't hurt my feelings if you take it somewhere if it's been too long, but he's very ADHD(OH Look! Something Shiny!.....)so yeah...

I basically change his oil, so that it DOES get done.
his last car(96 Taurus, Vulcan 3.0)...over 3-4 years, and 50 or so thousand miles, he maybe changed the Filter once. it leaked/burned enough he was adding oil weekly or so...

...then a week after he gave that car to a friend of his, the rear strut towers rusted out/collapsed,(in the Middle of a Pizza Delivery run mind you) and the car drove like a dog with worms, bumper dragging, and sparks flying.

oh, just to throw a wild card in the mix, I also have 10qts of good old 0w30 GC in my stash.
This Engine, is a 2003 Toyota 1zzfe 1.8l 4cyl. it has been back-specc'd to include 5w30(OE Spec), 5w20, and 0w20. (but not 0w30)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I vote for teaching your buddy how to change his own oil.

He probably knows how to do it, but is just to lazy to do it.

Make him motivated to change it will free beer afterwards as a Scooby snack. Try the Gc ow3o or mobil 1 hm and just plan for a 7k-10k oil change.Maybe a snort of LM mos2 just for safe measure. Might wanna make sure tranny fluid isnt burnt or brown, would be a good time to at least drop ATF pan and change filter and refill if negligence is his thing just to be safe.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: bvance554
I vote for teaching your buddy how to change his own oil.

He probably knows how to do it, but is just to lazy to do it.

He's not so much Lazy, as Short attention Span, Easily Distracted. (as i said, very ADHD)
He knows how to change oil, I've walked him through it, his Dad showed him as a kid, but, He Won't Do anything automotive, Working on/flipping cars was his Dad's Sole Focus(but not his vocation), and he tried to relate everything to his kids by cars.
(Suffice to say he has "Daddy Issues")

Similar to me and Fishing. all my dad's spare time was devoted to Fishing in one form or another, and i was more or less Forced to do it too much as a Kid.So much so that as an adult, I'd Rather go to the Dentist for an Overly thorough cleaning than go fishing.
(sounds like I probably have some issues myself...)

Besides, I like Changing oil, and it's one of the few times we get to hang out together in the Flesh (not just shooting txts or emails back and forth). Esp since he's not coming up here for Family visits/holidays now that his Mom moved to Alaska.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Make him motivated to change it will free beer afterwards as a Scooby snack.

I get what you're saying, but the free beer ploy would only work on me. he's a little too "froofy" for beer.IYKWIM.
besides which i still have a 100 mi drive home afterwards.

Try the Gc ow3o or mobil 1 hm and just plan for a 7k-10k oil change.Maybe a snort of LM mos2 just for safe measure.

Not looking to buy anything extra, just asking which of the oils I listed as having on hand to use. besides, I've not Drunk the M1 Kool-aid yet...

Might wanna make sure tranny fluid isnt burnt or brown, would be a good time to at least drop ATF pan and change filter and refill if negligence is his thing just to be safe.

Not a Terrible Idea on an 11 yr old car w/ ~175k, but that's not happening this trip. his BF has some kind of appt in the afternoon, and then stuff with the BF's Family that evening.
this is strictly an oil change.

if anyone's interested, Here's a Link to the UOA I did after the second oil change i did for him. (drained the first oil I put in)
That was Nearly 7k on PYB, in almost 4 mo. But he was a Pizza boy then, avg around 100mi a day around Columbus, Delivering for Papa Johns.

Last edited:
Drive 100 miles one way for an oil change? That's nuts IMO. Just tell him to get it done locally. Find him a coupon online. Google is your friend. Scratch that, Google is not your friend - use Bing.

thanks for staying on topic everyone.
I got 2 votes for the FrankenBrew, 1 for PP, and 2 for GC.
so this whole thread was pointless.

given these votes, and the fact that of the 2 "leaders" only 1 is in an approved weight Spec....
FrankenBrew it is.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Run the Frankenbrew!

+1

edit:

Originally Posted By: earlyre
thanks for staying on topic everyone.
I got 2 votes for the FrankenBrew, 1 for PP, and 2 for GC.
so this whole thread was pointless.

given these votes, and the fact that of the 2 "leaders" only 1 is in an approved weight Spec....
FrankenBrew it is.

NOW I read all the way down...
smile.gif

Last edited:
I'll do a post-mortum on the Filter (PL14477) on my next day off (monday) not sending the oil in to see how it held up, as I was cleaning off the top of the drain pan, a fair amount of degreaser (LA's Totally Awesome!) drained down into the holding tank portion.

I know the Nextgen Conv, and PL14477 were on there for 9 months, and I THINK 6-8k mi.

as i said, it's not my car, I told him to take it someplace a month or 2 ago, "never got around to it", but he did make a trip to a con in Baltimore last weekend...(has a small leather working side business, on top of the 9-5 job)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back