No start up smoke from tail pipe on day but smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
the next? My Camry in signature with 107 thousand miles out of nowhere just started to release some oil smoke when first started? Never did that before? Time for a HM oil???

Stay away from high mileage or thicker oils, those are for people that don't know what they are doing, first you need to see why the engine is consuming oil, it could be from 3 places: the crankcase ventilation, the valve stem seals or the piston rings. Once that you know from where the oil is coming you need to fix it, simple as that.

Any other trick (motor honey, high mileage or thicker oil) is just homeopathy for your car.

How many miles do you currently have on the oil in the engine? My mom's 2002 Camry with the 2.4 started to smoke at start-up a while back, but, I found out its current fill of Pennzoil Plat had 10K+ miles on it. Changed it with new PP and it eventually stopped. I've been changing the oil between 6K-7K with PP and now using G-Oil. It has not smoked at start-up since then.

I was worried that the valve stem seals were toast, maybe not? Maybe 10K miles was too much for the oil and it was seeping past the seals? Try using a different brand of oil and see if it changes.

Last edited:
Well, start watching your dipstick.
wink.gif

If it's something like valve seals most people just let it go. The engine is healthy (rings, compression) otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back