2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L UOA Take 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, as promised I am posting a follow up UOA of the 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L Gas Engine. Oil Used is QSUD 5w20. The last UOA is on this report on the right, new on the left. Though TBN is better than the last sample, it still goes really quick considering the TBN on the VOA of this oil is 9.0 This car is my ex wife's she drives mainly rural and stop and go at the Mex/California border once a week.

Thoughts...

[img:left][/img]

yes, this has been a good car for her. I do think the engine is a bit noisy, especially for a port fuel injected engine. Most DI motors clack when cold like a diesel, or some cars have air pumps that are a little noisy at start up. I dont know what it is with this engine, its just noisy haha. Inside the car its fine, you dont hear anything, but from the outside it sounds very course.

All and all, the report looks good. I have Castrol Edge (Gold Bottle) 5w20 in it now to try out. I may consider switching to a 5w30 since summer is coming and she does spend time at the boarder in 100F+ heat with the a/c on full blast. The 30w may provide a little better thermal protection. Again, that is hind sight, dont know that for fact.

Jeff

Its not a poor UOA, It just proves under the driving conditions, and such, this particular oil just doesn't last too long. Other than that, nothing is abnormal.

So I change the oil more often, who cares right?

I have switched oil to Castrol Edge (Gold Bottle) will see how it holds up compared to the QSUD.

Jeff

Well if all she does is stop and go, she probably falls under the severe service. Hyundai has severe service set at 3,700 miles. Don't they recommend the dino oil of this brand even? Well now we know why. Be interesting how it would look with mostly highway runs at their 7,500 mile normal service.

I'd stick with the shorter 3,750 mile OCI's while under warranty with the GDI Direct Injection engine and a lot of stop and go / short trips in town.

Hyundai engines tend to take their toll on most oils with fuel dilution and oil shearing - necessitating more frequent LOF changes for mostly city driving.

This engine is not a DI it's port injected.

Yes Hyundai recommends QS dino oil. I use QSUD 5w20 synthetic I thought I could get 5k out of it but I'm not going to try.

Using Castrol Edge with Titanium 5w20 this fill. See how it compares.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back