Glock compact or sub compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why there are two G19s and a G23 in my safe....great balance of size, weight, and capacity....

Originally Posted By: Garak
... But, there is a point where preparedness hits anal retentiveness and where anal retentiveness turns into outright paranoia.

OMGosh - for a second there I thought this was the filter sub-forum and we were discussing FUs again ...

A BITOGer is a BITOGer, no matter what you put on the table in front of him.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
That's why there are two G19s and a G23 in my safe....great balance of size, weight, and capacity....

What? Only three? Don't be a quitter, Astro ...
grin.gif

In my vault: 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26(2x), 27, 29, 31, 35 and soon to be a 42. Yes - I freely admit to having a "problem", as my wife puts it.
Hi, my name is Dave and I'm a Glockaholic.

Last edited:
Well...there's also a G17 and G20, but we were talking about concealable Glocks...so they got left out, as did the H&K, Beretta, and S&W....

Glock makes a good gun. Can't go wrong with a Glock....

And I do love the 10mm cartridge, bought the G20 just to have a gun in that caliber...

Now, that 41 sure looks nice!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
OMGosh - for a second there I thought this was the filter sub-forum and we were discussing FUs again ...

I probably just cut and pasted that from there.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm waiting on a long slide 10mm. I won't be able to resist that one.

I don't know that they'll ever develope a "long slide" 10 mil, but they do make a long barrel that will fit in the slide of the 20. Glock official long barrel #SP07557. You can find on ebay, etc.

There are also LoneWolf brand variants, but I prefer OEM.

I've ordered from these guys before: http://www.glockmeister.com/G20-6-GLOCK-Factory-Barrel/productinfo/G7557/

Dave, what's your take on the Storm Lake barrels? Looks like same price as OE...

Didn't know there was a 6" barrel for the G20... Mine is actually a G20C but I have an uncompensated factory barrel as well...in low light, with full power loads, the flash is considerable.

Most 10mm practice ammo is loaded to about .40 SW specs. No big deal. Put full power rounds like Buffalo Bore in the gun, and there is a noticeable increase in recoil. With the compensated barrel, it's very controllable, but 10mm would not be my 1st choice in a subcompact concealed carry, e.g. G29. I would think the full power loads would make it a bit difficult to handle. A .40 or even 9mm would be a better choice of round in that size.

Last edited:
I've seen, but not purchased, a longer bbl for my 20. I like the concept of just swapping bbls for more oomph and a tad more accuracy. Glock markets that bbl (#SP07557)as a hunting bbl and has offered it for quite some time, actually, but it's just not well known. I would buy the extra bbl long before I bought another complete 10mm; having the 20 and 29 are plenty for me for such a low-use caliber. For me, it's a whole lot cheaper (and easier) to get a bbl than a whole gun. And it gives the exact safe effect.

Honestly, rather than making the 41, I don't know why they didnt' just offer a longer .45 bbl not unlike the 10mm long bbl. I suppose the market will gobble them up, though.

Since I'm factory certified armorer, I pretty much stick to OEM bbls. I'm not saying the aftermarket stuff isn't good; much of it is. I just have very limited experience with aftermarket stuff for Glocks; I find their factory parts good enough for what I want. My neighbor did have a LoneWolf 9mm to add a suppressor; it seemed like a decent made bbl.

Last edited:
The extra sight radius comes in handy. Just having a little longer barrel isn't getting you much unless it's threaded for a suppressor.

I agree for some that might make a difference; for me, it doesn't. I shoot every bit as well with my 26 as my 17, both of which I have to qualify with every year at the SO.

The longer bbl does net some velocity increase at times, but whether it actually matters at the recieving end is dependent upon each unique application or shooting event. If you shoot me from 5 feet away in summer while I wear a tee shirt, the vel and accuracy gainedby a longer bbl likely won't mean much. If it's winter and you squeeze one off at 35 yards, while I'm wearing multiple heavy layers, then the vel and expansion design are going to be a much larger factor.

As with about anything else under the sun, the answer always starts with "It depends ..."

Last edited:
We are required to shoot out to 50 yards for initial state qualifications (back when I was in the academy in 1995), but our annual recerts are at 25 yards max distance.

We shoot 12 rounds each at 3, 7, 15, 25 yards; combination of dominant and non-dominant hand, as well as standing and kneeling. 5pts possible per shot; total of 240 pts. Minimum qualification is 80% for our SO department, although state only requires 70%, IIRC. We must qualify with not only our duty weapon but any off-duty one as well; we are not limited to what we carry off-duty as long as we qualify with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back