Pressure Test Coolant System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a 1999 Saturn SL1 that loses a small amount of anti-freeze over a long period of times.. Just millimeters over the period of months. This is a closed system and shouldn't lose any anti-freeze as far as I know.

Typically to find a leak i'd pressure test the system and call it a day.. however a Saturn does not have a radiator cap, and only an expansion tank cap.

I believe most auto part stores pressure testers only include 2-3 adapters for testing the most common types of radiators.. does anyone have any other tips on how to either verify the leak? Or where I can get a tester that will work with a Saturn?

I believe I have located the leak at the intake manifold near the 4th cylinder, but would like to verify before jumping into anything.

All help and advice is welcome, thanks!

The $68 (with coupon) pressure tester set I got at Harbor Freight has a bunch of adapters, it even had one for the expansion tank on my BMW. It is really well made for the money.

That tool was something I went without for many years, not really seeing the need. But since I have bought it I have used it several times, and located leaks that if I waited till the engine was reassembled would have been major headaches to fix.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
Hello All,

I have a 1999 Saturn SL1 that loses a small amount of anti-freeze over a long period of times.. Just millimeters over the period of months. This is a closed system and shouldn't lose any anti-freeze as far as I know.

Typically to find a leak i'd pressure test the system and call it a day.. however a Saturn does not have a radiator cap, and only an expansion tank cap.

I believe most auto part stores pressure testers only include 2-3 adapters for testing the most common types of radiators.. does anyone have any other tips on how to either verify the leak? Or where I can get a tester that will work with a Saturn?

I believe I have located the leak at the intake manifold near the 4th cylinder, but would like to verify before jumping into anything.

All help and advice is welcome, thanks!

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
You could throw in some dye

I was considering this.. It would be cheaper than buying the Harbor freight kit, I wonder if it would work ok on a slower leak?

Your small leak might become a moderate leak after the pressure test.

I would leave it.

Originally Posted By: Gabe

I would leave it.

If you don't put more pressure in it then what the rad cap states, I don't see how this would put anymore stress on the system.

But really, I wouldn't even worry about loosing that much on a car that old.

It won't, unless you pressurize it more than you should.

But I think the dye is a good idea, it is easy and would show small leaks over time. A UV dye is best if you have access to a black light.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Originally Posted By: Gabe

I would leave it.

If you don't put more pressure in it then what the rad cap states, I don't see how this would put anymore stress on the system.

But really, I wouldn't even worry about loosing that much on a car that old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back