read my plugs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something I've never grasped. They've been in service for 37k. Not many fuel additives. I regapped and put them back in. These are the front bank from the Grand Am.

They look good! Clean'em up and reinstal'em
smile.gif

The one on the right is obviously a bit off, perhaps that cylinder is running a bit rich? Is that cylinder furthest from the throttle body or closest?

On the whole, I'd say they look fine.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The one on the far right looks like it is burning some oil.

That's what I thought too.

The one on the far right is closest to the throttle body. It's deposits are grey and ashy. I suppose I could run a quality synthetic to try and clean the ring pack.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Bad valve-stem oil seals seeping oil into the combustion chamber, as evidenced by oil-soaked threads and oil-ash deposits.

The oil on the threads may simply be from a leaking valve cover gasket though. There's definitely oil deposits on the plug itself on the one furthest to the right, which I already made note of.

Bad valve-stem oil seals seeping oil into the combustion chamber, as evidenced by oil-soaked threads and oil-ash deposits.

The oil on the threads may simply be from a leaking valve cover gasket though. There's definitely oil deposits on the plug itself on the one furthest to the right, which I already made note of.

If it's oil on the threads, it's probably not the gasket. Yes, definitely the plug on the right shows excessive oil consumption as indicated by quite a bit of ash deposits.

If it's oil on the threads, it's probably not the gasket. Yes, definitely the plug on the right shows excessive oil consumption as indicated by quite a bit of ash deposits.

Middle one that has the oil on the threads seems like its burning pretty clean does it not?

From my experience any oil getting into the combustion chamber is burnt and deposited as ash, while external leaks (like valve cover) will have the threads a bit oily.

Definitely the farthest right is burning oil.

Its not burning much oil. I get about 4.5 quarts out of the motor to a 7.5k OCI. Level never really moves on the dip stick. Hmmmmm...

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
Its not burning much oil. I get about 4.5 quarts out of the motor to a 7.5k OCI. Level never really moves on the dip stick. Hmmmmm...

Is the valve cover gasket seeping? Can you take a pic of the side of the engine these plugs came out of?

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
The one on the far right looks like it is burning some oil.

That's what I thought too.

+1

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

Is the valve cover gasket seeping? Can you take a pic of the side of the engine these plugs came out of?

Not that I can see. I'll snap a pic when I get home.

As promised...

On another note most terminals on the coil packs we're corroded. Might be why the plugs don't look the best. I plan on replacing them soon.

Looks like there might be a little bit of seepage by the bolt to the right of the plug in the last pic. The rest of it looks dry.

I suppose I could replace the gasket when winter decides to go away! I'll get a chance to take a peek inside as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back