The liquid de-icer they use here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely destroyed both calibers on my wife's Ranger in two yrs. Her new job has her driving daily on a stretch (18mi) where it is typically used. I heard it destroys the county rigs that apply the junk fairly quickly too.

East of the Cascade mountains they use it quite a bit in the winter time. Maybe once or twice a year on the West of the Cascades.

Some places here use magnesium chloride in the brine mix. It does a number on the wiring on the trucks. Constantly having problems with badly corroded wiring on the trucks.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Some places here use magnesium chloride in the brine mix. It does a number on the wiring on the trucks. Constantly having problems with badly corroded wiring on the trucks.

Yes, this is what they use here (magnesium chloride) and yes it also destroys wiring too. Two of the caliber bracket bolts were so rusted and frozen on I had to take it to a shop so they could lift it on a rack to get the right angle on it to remove. Both calipers were shot. Heavily pitted and corroded causing seal failure. When I returned the cores Napa guy said its fairly typical for those that drive daily on the liquid de-icer treated roads. They don't use it on all roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back