Different filter numbers identical size? (Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried buying a synthetic 10111 this evening, but of course that was the only single filter on the shelf that was sold out. I have a GM 3800 Series 2 in the firebird, it specs the 10111. I looked in the book at the 5.7L LS1 for the trans-am and it specs a 14006. I remember reading that I could use different sized filters, I just couldn't remember which ones. I ended up buying the pureone in 10111 instead to be safe, but I want to know for the future if this happens again which other filter numbers I would be ok with using?

Here's a bunch of pictures, the 10111 and 14006 looked identical to the eye, height, width, and ring diameter..
Also, I haven't been on here since the synthetic first came out, did we ever get testing evidence on the difference between the pureone and synthetic?

2JJQLKi.jpg

ZtLXUT5.jpg

Xglwe7a.jpg

Last edited:
Do they have the same sized threads in the base plate? That could be the only reason they are two different filter numbers with them being the same otherwise.

Originally Posted By: 00firebird
I tried buying a synthetic 10111 this evening, but of course that was the only single filter on the shelf that was sold out. I have a GM 3800 Series 2 in the firebird, it specs the 10111. I looked in the book at the 5.7L LS1 for the trans-am and it specs a 14006. I remember reading that I could use different sized filters, I just couldn't remember which ones. I ended up buying the pureone in 10111 instead to be safe, but I want to know for the future if this happens again which other filter numbers I would be ok with using?

Here's a bunch of pictures, the 10111 and 14006 looked identical to the eye, height, width, and ring diameter..

Also, I haven't been on here since the synthetic first came out, did we ever get testing evidence on the difference between the pureone and synthetic?

These are Baldwin specs

PL14006 /B31
Descriptions: Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
Replaces: GMC 25010251
Thread: 13/16-16
O.D.: 3 (76.2)
Length: 3 1/2 (88.9)

PL10111 /B43-S
Descriptions: Full-Flow Lube Spin-on
Contains: Anti-Drainback Valve
Replaces: GMC 25010766
Thread: M18 x 1.5
O.D.: 2 29/32 (73.8)
Length: 3 1/2 (88.9)

As you can see the LS filter uses Standard threads, While the 3.8L filter uses Metric.

[censored] $9 for pure1 on sale, I got bunch on sale for $3.50 at Kmart not to long ago. And $22 for QSUD & P1. HAVO SYN & P1. Mobil super SYN & P1. at AAP.

Last edited:
Ahh I guess I should have looked closer. Strange because both cars were built in canada. But I guess the LS1 was built in USA most likely.
Does anyone know what the larger sizes for the 10111 would be?

It's the 24011 IIRC. I don't use Puro's much but you want the one that crosses to the AC PF52 or PH3980 Fram which I believe is the 24011.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
It's the 24011 IIRC. I don't use Puro's much but you want the one that crosses to the AC PF52 or PH3980 Fram which I believe is the 24011.

It is the 24011. Among the various cars I service for friends and family, there is one with the 3800 and one with an LT1. They both get the 24011. I'd like to try the Motorcraft equivalent (FL402) and save a few nickels, but have never come across one on the shelf.

You probably won't, Motorcrafts for GM applications are as rare as Sasquatch. You hear they exist, but you'll never see one!

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
mother-of-god-meme.jpg

They FINALLY gave the PureOneSyn a S-ADBV
138126d1393745493-hilarious-quotes-pictures-answers-everybody-got-time-.jpg

*My bad
I meant a Silicone base gasket
They didn't give you that before, Which I personally found unacceptable

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

*My bad
I meant a Silicone base gasket
They didn't give you that before, Which I personally found unacceptable

I don't think the red base gasket is actually silicone ... it say it's "PTFE Treated". PTFE is Teflon. If it was actually silicone, I'd think Purolator would say so.

PureOne
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

Purolator Synthetic - still show the black nitrile gasket - guess they haven't updated their website yet, too busy trying to find the root cause of media tears.
grin.gif

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Originally Posted By: chad8
14006 + sae threads 13/16 x 16

10111 metric threads 18 x 1.5 mm

That was easy. More to filter comparison and external size/dimension comparison.

And contrary to the misinformation posted in this thread, P1 never advertised a silicone sealing gasket, but rather a ptfe treated gasket which in all likelihood is still nitrile in composition, or until otherwise published. Looks like PSL may have gone to the same. Either way imo it's certainly not a big deal. Apply a thin layer of oil to the gasket on installation and either will work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back