inexpensive laser toner, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The replacement OEM toner on my laser printer costs $70, almost as much as the printer. I see non-OEM toners selling for $17 to $30 new. Are these any good?

The only issues I've seen with the offbrand replacements are the remanufacturers sometimes don't clean out the waste collection part of the cartridge. Then your documents are always smudy.

When I have to buy all four toners for our color laser printer, it exceeds what I paid for it new. It seems like that is typical.

Having said that, I am not a fan of non-OEM cartridges. I have had to toss three of them in the past due to various problems such as streaking, blobs or just weird print quality. So for me I bite the bullet and get OEM despite the cost.

It could just be the brand of remans that I bought though. I don't know.

Originally Posted By: xfactor9
The replacement OEM toner on my laser printer costs $70, almost as much as the printer. I see non-OEM toners selling for $17 to $30 new. Are these any good?

Do laser printer toners dry up if not used?

I have been thinking of getting a color laser to replace my color inkjet which does dry out but I am quite low use.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000

I have been thinking of getting a color laser to replace my color inkjet which does dry out but I am quite low use.

No. Toner is by nature a dry powder.

Like OVERKILL noted, they don't dry out. That was the #1 reason I bought it, I can't tell you how many times I found the inkjet printer had dried out since the last use.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000

Is there any brand in general in color lasers that is better generally and also from a replacement toner cost point of view?

I'm buying diy toner refill kits from TonerRefillKits.com for my HP laser printer. The print quality is identical to the original HP toner and it is a very easy procedure with clear instructions. And their prices and customer service are second to none.
Few days ago I ordered their complete toner cartridge, because the original one started smearing the pages towards the end. I will se how it holds up, but I don't expect any less service life as both OEM and aftermarket cartridges seem to have the same build quality. But only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back