Hankook Optimo H727 tires installed - wtih PICS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am obviously aware that new rubber isn't added to tires as they wear...

But will any rotation or the corrected alignment specs help them smooth out over time? I guess I will find out.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I am obviously aware that new rubber isn't added to tires as they wear...

But will any rotation or the corrected alignment specs help them smooth out over time? I guess I will find out.

My daughter, my good buddy and his son, all have the H727 on their...Mazda3, Camry & CR-V respectively and all 3 vehicles are wearing the tires on the inside edges causing some noise.

The noise is quite loud in the Mazda3, bearly noticable in the Camry and very noticable in the CR-V.

Though these tire have been good for all 3 vehicles, as in all 3 instances the tires are smooth/quiet to start out with, all balanced well without rebalancing for the real world treadlife of the tires, travel through the snow/ice quite well for an A/S Tire and their hydroplaning resistance is very good in the downpours of heavey rain and/or where roads that aren't pitched correctly for good water runoff.

But, the H727's don't come close to their mileage warranty of 100K miles. 40K-50K miles is about it(down to about 2-4/32nds) where, we all need good tires again to travel through the inclement weather.

Right now, my daughters Mazda3(205-55-16) is down to about 5-6/32nds with about 30K+ miles. Not bad for the price of the tires...online w/local install!

I will probably recomend that she get the H727's again for her Mazda3 as I/we already know how they perform on this car. My buddy & his son have done the same.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'm at just about 37k miles on these tires and we are mostly through another winter.

We have had only one good-sized snow where I live this winter. The Hankooks handled it great. I still have really good snow and winter traction.

We also recently took a trip to the upper Midwest where they had a lot of ice and snow. We drove on icy and snowpacked roads and the Hankooks handled it pretty darn well. We also drove through a pretty decent snowstorm and again they performed very well. Below is a pic from the trip.

I've been very diligent about rotations recently and the tires seem to be quieting down. I really believe they're quieter and they seem to feel a little smoother when I run my hands across the tread.

I also measured the tread today. The tread depth ranges from more than 6/32nds to more than 8/32nds. I've read some complaints like the one above where people say these wear out early, but mine still seem to have a lot of miles left in them.

Hankookat37kmiles_zps72e94afd.jpg

Well too,
smile.gif
although ours are wearing, hmmmm OK, those H727's that may wearout sooner have to do with the vehicles alignment spec, owners driving style/habbits and the tires itself overall diameter.

For example, I can't expect our 205-55-16 with an overall diameter of 24.9" to wear as long as, lets say, your 215-60-16 with an OD of 26.2" This may not seem like much difference in OD of 1.3" but, it makes all the difference at the end of the tires life.

I believe that Hankook went to the extreme optomisticly(no pun
laugh.gif
) with the 100,000 mile wearout rating for the H727.

Just having some fun!
smile.gif

We too like our H727's but, they lost their winter traction/stopping ability at 6-7 32nds and I decided to get some dedicated winter tires for the little mazda3. I think that the little mazda IS NOT a very good winter vehicle as are/were many of our current/past vehicles. I have had vehicles that were better in the winter time with the same A/S tires as each other and, one did better.

I had a Plymouth Turismo Hatchback that did waaaay better in snow/ice than our Honda Accord Hatchback(300 lbs heavier), both wearing the same size/brand A/S tires(195-60-14/Dunlop GT Qualifier). It's just that way sometimes!

My '04 Altima 2.5S is great in the snow/ice with the A/S Pirelli P4's. I couldn't be happier! Others(I've read) aren't as happy.

Last edited:
The new General Altimax RT43 looks to be a very promising,possibly better alternative to the H727. It beat the H727 in this Tire Rack test: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=178

And, people are giving it good snow performance in this BITOG thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3237723/General_AltiMAX_RT43#Post3237723

If your H727's have reasonably even wear, but premature tire tread wear, you should be able to talk a good tire store into giving you some pro rated credit on your next purchase. I did this with my Yoko's to the tune of $100 dollars credit, even when changing to another brand.

Thanks, guys, for updating these tire performance threads.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The new General Altimax RT43 looks to be a very promising,possibly better alternative to the H727. It beat the H727 in this Tire Rack test: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=178

And, people are giving it good snow performance in this BITOG thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3237723/General_AltiMAX_RT43#Post3237723

If your H727's have reasonably even wear, but premature tire tread wear, you should be able to talk a good tire store into giving you some pro rated credit on your next purchase. I did this with my Yoko's to the tune of $100 dollars credit, even when changing to another brand.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Not sure if it would be worth it 30K into the tire, but have you considered getting them flipped on the wheels?

I'm not sure if you guys are talking to me or Stephen so, I'll answer for myself.

I bought the H727's at thetirerack and will not try to get any prorating with 6-7 32nds of treadlife remaining at 34,000 miles.

I may flip over the tires on the wheels as I have'em done at W*M and the balance will be free. It may cost ~ $20-$30 total, which is cheap.

The H727 in my case are noisy in a mazda3 but, not many tires aren't noisy according to mazda3 owners.. It's as much the lack of insulation in the car as the tires cupping.

I bought some dedicated winter tires so, the H727's will be with us for awhile and the H727 still do fine in the other 3 seasons and the cars MPG is really good with the H727's. Road holding, hiwy tracking and lack of radial pull and vibs are another plus with the H727's. They've just become noisy due to the inside edge(s) cupping! Alot of this is due to mazda's alignment spec and some worn parts.

I've replaced control arms and struts in the car w/alignment. This may help!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Not sure if it would be worth it 30K into the tire, but have you considered getting them flipped on the wheels?

I'm not sure if you guys are talking to me or Stephen so, I'll answer for myself.

I bought the H727's at thetirerack and will not try to get any prorating with 6-7 32nds of treadlife remaining at 34,000 miles.

I may flip over the tires on the wheels as I have'em done at W*M and the balance will be free. It may cost ~ $20-$30 total, which is cheap.

The H727 in my case are noisy in a mazda3 but, not many tires aren't noisy according to mazda3 owners.. It's as much the lack of insulation in the car as the tires cupping.

I bought some dedicated winter tires so, the H727's will be with us for awhile and the H727 still do fine in the other 3 seasons and the cars MPG is really good with the H727's. Road holding, hiwy tracking and lack of radial pull and vibs are another plus with the H727's. They've just become noisy due to the inside edge(s) cupping! Alot of this is due to mazda's alignment spec and some worn parts.

I've replaced control arms and struts in the car w/alignment. This may help!

Any one that wants to listen! haha.

I was considering doing that on the H725s on my Focus. Unfortunately I took too long and didn't flip them. I would have easily been able to get another year out of them if I did it 10K miles ago!

The outside have 4-5/32'' and the inside edges are worn smooth. I didn't realize it had got that bad since the outside looked so good.

My 2 cents on the Hankook 727. Had a set of 4 installed on my 2006 Camry in December 2012. Some time this past summer, the tires started getting louder and had a vibration at highway speed to the point I thought I had a bad wheel bearing (130k on Camry). Instead my tires were cupped and out of balance. The tires were rotated with each oil change (done at 5k miles) at the dealership. All the supspension parts were fine. Mechanic basically said it's the tires. So 2 years and approx. 37k miles later, I need another set of tires.

I bought the 727s because of price, warranty and recommendations on CR, TireRack, etc. My experience with the 727s seem to be shared by increasing number of owners. Also I had a set of 418s that lasted only 23k on my minivan. Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice...... Next set of tires will likely be something else.

Originally Posted By: dtownfb
My 2 cents on the Hankook 727. Had a set of 4 installed on my 2006 Camry in December 2012. Some time this past summer, the tires started getting louder and had a vibration at highway speed to the point I thought I had a bad wheel bearing (130k on Camry). Instead my tires were cupped and out of balance. The tires were rotated with each oil change (done at 5k miles) at the dealership. All the supspension parts were fine. Mechanic basically said it's the tires. So 2 years and approx. 37k miles later, I need another set of tires.

I bought the 727s because of price, warranty and recommendations on CR, TireRack, etc. My experience with the 727s seem to be shared by increasing number of owners. Also I had a set of 418s that lasted only 23k on my minivan. Fool me once, shame on me; fool me twice...... Next set of tires will likely be something else.

While sipping Starbucks Coffee in Barn's & Nobel, I was reading through Consumer Reports Magazine and went to the tire ratings. In their latest report, the H727's have fallen greatly down the list to a tie with the Cooper CS4's which, themselves seem to have moved up the list.

I do realize that this CR Tire Test is using a different size tire and a completely different vehicle(Chevy Cruze instead of Malibu).

What I do remember was their first testing scored the H727's a 2nd place finish to the Michelin HydroEdge. Then moving to 4th place with the addition of some new LRR tires scoring better while the MichHydEdge holding onto 1st place.

The Pirelli P4's originaly scored a 3rd place finish during that test with the HydEdge & the H727. The P4's are now holding onto a 4th place spot on CR's latest review where as the H727 have dropped considerably.

Last edited:
I just looked up the past scores and can offer a little insight, I think.

Looking at the past ratings, the individual scores for things like traction, noise, etc. of the H727 and CS4 don't seem markedly different, they're pretty similar. The differences seem more with the tires they're competing against.

In 2009, the H727 was one of the very top tires (it was released in 2005). The CS4 was down several slots because there were a bunch of other tires in the mix with similar scores to the H727 and CS4.

In 2010, the H727 moved down the list a little as new tires were released.

In the most recent tests, several new tires had been released and the H727 moved down the list more. Some of the tires between the H727 and CS4 disappeared from the test, and a couple other tires moved around a little in the scores. That brought the H727 and CS4 together to where they are now.

When I was choosing a tire a couple of the things I specifically wanted were long treadlife and snow traction. I chose the H727 based on those attributes and it's continued to perform well in those categories.

Indeed! I don't ecpect tires to stay at the upper ranges in the charts as newer tires are always eclipsing them in the ratings.

I was surprised that the Pirelli P4's stayed in the upper 5 while the H727's dropped below that 5 but, still in the top 10

Well, I sold my Hyundai to my brother so I won't be updating this thread anymore.

I had more than 40k miles on the Hankooks. The front two were worn more than the rears and one front tire had a puncture in a technically irreparable place, so I replaced two of the Hankooks before I sold it to him.

The two rear tires still had around 6-8/32nds. The fronts I replaced were in the 4-6/32nds range.

The tires had more wear in the center. I guess I was running the tire pressure a little too high. Perhaps I need a better tire gauge.

Here are my final, long-term opinions after having them on my 2007 Sonata GLS with a 5-speed manual:
-These did not disappoint in the winter performance department. That was one of the main reasons I chose them and they were great in the snow and ice for an all-season tire.

-They did get some uneven wear and noise, but I don't know whether to attribute that to the tires or the car. I probably should have rotated them more frequently. They wore unevenly and got noisy after the alignment went out of spec. I replaced some suspension parts that I didn't think would affect alignment, but it did. Getting diligent about rotations quieted them down some but they still weren't silent.

-They probably wouldn't have lasted to 100k miles, but they still had a good number of miles left in them.

-They aren't a performance tire. They had a comfortable ride. The Sonata has really bland driving dynamics to begin with, so I thought they were a good fit for the vehicle.

-They don't have great wet traction, but overall they were fine for my driving. I did get some minor slippage when trying to take off from a stop up a steep hill in the rail. The clutch actuation on this car is horrible, so that probably played a part.

Overall, I was pretty satisfied for the price I paid. I only paid $380 installed after rebate when I ordered them online and had them installed locally. Local shops wanted around $550 installed for a set. I would buy them again if I had to do it over. But, had I kept the car I may have considered other tires as a replacement. There are newer tire designs that have been released that may now beat the H727, depending on what you're looking for. The H727 was released nearly 10 years ago, I believe, so I'm sure tire designs have improved since then.

Thanks for keeping us updated!
smile.gif

I too have given many reviews and comments over the last 3-4 years on the H727's. Not only from our personal experience but from those in our circle as well.

I will probably get rid of our H727s a bit early as the alignment of the car was off slightly and caused these tires to wear on the inside edges of all 4 tires, causing a loud wheel bearing type noise(not the bearings)...way too loud in this car!

Susspension parts(struts & control arms) and an alignmet have been performed and winter tires installed. Nice and quiet now!

Looking into something else such as the AltiMax RT43's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back