My new Ulysse Nardin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've dreamed of owning one for many years, and now here is one in my hands. This post is appreciable by any watch fans of this forum, and I'd like to share this beautiful watch. Unfortunately I found a potentially serious issue with the movement, and I'm taking it to a watchmaker tomorrow to have it corrected.

However, its a 41 jewel (I'm sure some jewels are there for show only) automatic from 1950. I bought it in blue since it reminded me of Bugatti Blue, and the ocean, which Ulysse proudly gears its clocks towards. If anyone knows anything about these watches, send me a pm or comment below.

Note these photos are from the eBay app. I made the mistake of taking the photos in RAW format with my camera, and that would take too long uploading on tinypic

55qtch.png

w18yl2.jpg

28h06wz.png

Bad-[censored]. Should serve you very well with rock-solid reliability. How many BPH? Anti-magnetic?

I have no idea on BHP. I'm positive it is not anti magnetic. Hopefully the watch guru tomorrow will tell me some cool things about it. Such as the serial numbers, value, originality and so on. I already like it more than the Date-Just I had previously. There are a few things I'm sure that will need to be repaired on this, hopefully I don't get run over in repair bills.
frown.gif

Yes, that's in the plan.

I'll also instruct him to add a few drops of "T6 with zinc" I'm curious to see the look on his face when I say that.

It holds time better than my Waltham Railroad certified pocket watch, which is a surprise because it only one year newer. The dial was repainted. There are markings on the back saying Dec. 1971. I'm guessing this means the paint was added in 1971. Stills looks a little too good for that age. Maybe another major repair was made. But the hands are original. To me, the hands look similar to those on a Patek Phillipe Calitrava.
The inside gears (movement to watch nerds) is not perfect, I'd like to have it restored. But I'm afraid this will be like my stupid Jaguars I've had in the past. Cheap to buy, but paying full service for maintenance. But I enjoy my hobbies and the dollar is worth it. This is my first UN, so I might keep this one until I'm gone.

I don't think that the Nardin looks too good for it's age though, I do think it does look good considering it's age!
smile.gif

I have many watches from the 1930's-40's-50's that look very good, PERIOD! And many of them, I've done nothing to them since my ownership of then over the last 35 years. Most were my Dad's and Uncle's wathces. Some quick buffing is all!

Most of my older watches from that era are Benson, Benrus, Bulova, Elgin, Gruen, Waltham...American watches with Swiss Made Mov't.

I have been a fan of Ebel watches for years, they were largely unknown in the US but had some wonderful movements. unfortunately they have dropped men's watches with their in house chrono movements.

This maybe of interest to you. If you can still a big date or Cal 137 powered watch grab it, they will never be made again by Ebel.
UL bought the movement and even took the workers who assembled it and calls it the Cal 150, they did not change the movement in any way but the price will be much higher.

Fortunately I bought a few of them in 08 and will never sell them, the movement is irreplaceable unless you buy a UN

http://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-indu...h-caliber-137/#

Beautiful. I collect vintage watches. They are so much more appealing than contemporary offerings. I have a 1966 Bulova Spaceview, 1952 Omega Seamaster and 1987 16013 Rolex Datejust. Yours does look like a re-dial, but no matter.

Those Omega Speedmasters are great!!

Trav, thanks for the article, I did not know of Ebel watches and their connection to UN.

I'm currently looking for someone who works on these watches in the Chicago area if any one knows someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back