Used Aston Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of buying a used Aston Martin say in the $60k range.

I just love the way they look.

Any advice on which model and years are going to be the most reliable and easiest to maintain?

Any thoughts which ones may become a classic and hold its value best?

Originally Posted By: Sam2000

Any advice on which model and years are going to be the most reliable and easiest to maintain?

The best advice with an Aston is to keep the money in your pocket.

eddie

You have to realize the English never made TV sets. The reason was they never could figure out how to make them leak oil. You also have to adapt to the Lucas electrical system. Where a regular car's headlight switch is off, parking lights, headlights, on an English car is is "off" "dim" and "flicker"

Personally for that kind of money, I would look at a Corvette, Viper or Porsche

I have no input on the model, but I would make sure that you have access to a good independent British or Euro mechanic. I am not trying to be sarcastic about reliability, but with exotic European cars you can always expect even the most routine maintenance to be complex.

That being said, if that is what you want, go for it and enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Sam2000

The reason there are so many cheap ultra-lux cars on the market in the first place is that people buy them for the looks or the badge, and then get annoyed or overwhelmed by the maintenance. The cars sit and rot, or they get thrashed without the proper care; either way, they become worse problems for the next owners (which would be you in this case).

I can't help but feel like you're going to get horribly burned if you go through with this.

What model are you looking at? My boss has a DB9 and it has been relatively problem free in the approximately 3 years he's owned it
21.gif

Wow...some people here are buthurt about Euro anything.

On topic...the OP should join a dedicated Aston Martin forum.

Join an owners forum and spend at least a few months getting to know the models and their characteristics. As an example, the Mercedes S600 is known for maintenance issues, but the owners forum knows all about those issues an discusses them frequently.

Search for a well cared for example with a complete maintenance history.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Join an owners forum and spend at least a few months getting to know the models and their characteristics. As an example, the Mercedes S600 is known for maintenance issues, but the owners forum knows all about those issues an discusses them frequently.

Search for a well cared for example with a complete maintenance history.

Exactly. Lurk on the Aston Martin owner websites. Any car will have problems, and a very vocal minority that raises a stink over it, but you'll want to see what the common grievances and nuisances are.

I presume you talking about the DB7. I hear the automatics are reliable, and so is the v12 engine. Maintenance is a real pain, but it is an exotic, and I'm sure caring for an exotic lion isn't much easier. But brain surgery is brain surgery. These cars are well acquainted for. The super car back shops can work on these, and I feel many parts are compatible with the Jaguar XK8, so it could save money in the event of an electrical problem. I wonder what kind of warentes you can get for these, if at all offered.

and of course, with Aston being a lower Volume Manufacturer,(only like 7000 DB7's made for example), expect astonishing parts prices.
with prestige parts, come prestige prices.
but if you 're looking to spend $60k on a car, that's probably not much of a worry...

Originally Posted By: Russ300H
You have to realize the English never made TV sets. The reason was they never could figure out how to make them leak oil. You also have to adapt to the Lucas electrical system. Where a regular car's headlight switch is off, parking lights, headlights, on an English car is is "off" "dim" and "flicker"

Personally for that kind of money, I would look at a Corvette, Viper or Porsche

You can't compare a Corvette or a Viper to an Aston Martin.

The rest of your post is just simple rubbish.

You do know who invented the TV don't you?

Heres a clue.

Baird.

As far as the OP's question goes.

History is extremely important with cars such as Aston Martin.

And it has to be detailed.

Any mentions of quicklube places would have me running for the hills.

Apart from the flappy paddle gearboxes being a bit jerky the mechanicals and electrics on recent Aston Martins are up there with the best.

With interiors that nobody can touch.

Certainly not plasticky interiors such as those fitted to a Corvette or Viper from a few years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back