'14 Jetta 2.0 S, oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Not the turbo, but the iron block from the A3 era. Does this engine require VW 502.00 as well now that it has been resurrected?

Last edited:
Yes... all VW engines call for some kind of a VW oil spec, the most basic one for gasoline engines being VW 502.00.

Even the old 2.slow was back specced to VW 502.00.

I guess its done to keep things uniform. My '93 A3 8v ran great on GTX back in the 90's. As did my G60 and VR6.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
I guess its done to keep things uniform. My '93 A3 8v ran great on GTX back in the 90's. As did my G60 and VR6.

It's also done in order to enable the current 10K miles OCIs. A GTX back from the 90s ran at 10K miles would probably turn to sludge.

I also used GTX with OEM filter on my 8V Fox.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

It's also done in order to enable the current 10K miles OCIs. A GTX back from the 90s ran at 10K miles would probably turn to sludge.

Yeah, never went 10K back then.

Not the turbo, but the iron block from the A3 era. Does this engine require VW 502.00 as well now that it has been resurrected?

I doubt that this engine really needs a VW 502.00 oil and the 2.5 probably doesn't either.
No turbo in either case and pretty lackluster specific output.
If either of these engines had the specific output of our '12 Accord, they'd make for reasonably quick cars.
They don't, though.
If an owner were going to run the oil as long as VW allows, then a quality syn 5W-30 like M1, PP, Ultra or API spec Edge would likely be sufficient.
If I bought a VW with the 2.Slow, I'd probably stick to VW's recommendations while under warranty and then venture off the reservation.
Incidentally, was this engine really resurrected?
I didn't think that it had ever gone away for the base VW models.

Originally Posted By: 2004tdigls
502 is now obsolete

It is not obsolete. It is still a current VW spec that is listed in 2014 VW owners manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back