Transmission filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been a few years since I had to do a service are they all the same nowadays or some are better?

Need to do a service soon so just wondering.

Obviously depends on your car but for my Celicas after 160k on Gts and 188k on Gt, they were fairly clean, I would have been fine not changing it...as long as the fluids change has been maintained.

I would use whatever you can find cheapest as the autozone generic and toyota OEM both looked the exact same including the rubber gasket...it's not a high sale item, so I think most are made the same.

In my opinion change every 100-150k depending on your vehicle application.

Glad you asked this question. I also am about to buy a transmission filter for my Alero.

Autozone carries only a store brand. OReily offers ACDelco and Wix, in addition to the store brand. RockAuto offers Wix, ACDelco, and Fram.

I lean towards the Wix or Fram, because of value. Is the ACDelco worth paying almost double for?

And what about gaskets? To meet OEM requirements the gasket needs to be a rubber coated metal type. But Wix and Fram include a cork gasket.

An incorrectly installed filter, poor quality filter, cracked filter, or poorly sealing o ring can cause the pump to suck air and trash the transmission.

This is one case where I would go with an OEM quality filter.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
OEM first, wix second for me

I second this . OEM is my first choice , then wix. I am not impressed with any store brand filter I have seen. Depends alot on the application as well , some are little more than a mesh screen .

I only use the OEM grade ACDelco for my truck which is actually an SPX filtran. If its a GM there is a cheaper ACD usually which is usually a WIX rebrand. Probably a fine filter but comes with a lower quality cork gasket IMO.

The filters from Advance I know seem very flimsy and cheap for sure. Probably do the job just fine I just dont like them very much.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
Wix or NAPA...

NAPA is a rebadged Wix...

True for other filters at NAPA, but not AT filters. They are ATP-made.

Originally Posted By: moklock
I only use the OEM grade ACDelco for my truck which is actually an SPX filtran. If its a GM there is a cheaper ACD usually which is usually a WIX rebrand. Probably a fine filter but comes with a lower quality cork gasket IMO.

The filters from Advance I know seem very flimsy and cheap for sure. Probably do the job just fine I just dont like them very much.

It's a '03 impala I used to look for filtran because it was a quality filter.

Does anyone know who carries filtran, CARQUEST used too but not sure anymore.

I've never personally seen a defective trans filter of any brand, but I am sure it has happened.

The main thing I don't like about aftermarket filters is the kind of thin gaskets they come with.

Personally, on my own vehicle, it's OEM or bust. The OEM filter I used did come with a new screw and o-rings, but no gasket. I used a fairly sturdy looking Felpro gasket since the OEM gasket with metal spacers had become a little stiff with age and probably would not have a good seal on reassembly. The Felpro has been leak free so far (4 months). This was the first filter change on the truck, and the old one did not look bad.

I think the aftermaket filters are by and large just fine, but the main component is so expensive that I'm willing to spend maybe $10 extra tops to get a filter I KNOW will be up to the task.

Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: moklock

It's a '03 impala I used to look for filtran because it was a quality filter.

Does anyone know who carries filtran, CARQUEST used too but not sure anymore.

Dacco Inc. & Transtar Industries, I'm sure they have other distributors.

I wouldn't even bother changing the transmission filter, unless it was a spin-on type (some Subarus and Saturns have a transmission filter that spins on like a regular oil filter)

In that case, Wix or Purolator will be fine.

Otherwise, don't change it. Most of the filters inside the transmission pan don't need to be changed anyway. Toyota actually says specifically *not* to change it.

If you absolutely MUST change it, then only go OEM, Beck/Arnley, Denso, Wix/Napa, maybe ATP. Unfortunately, most transmission filters you'll find at parts stores that aren't Napa are Chinese junk like Pro-King. Using those low-quality Chinese filters is worse than not replacing it at all.

Just change the transmission fluid regularly and you will be fine.

If your transmission doesn't have a drain plug, then get an aftermarket pan that does have one. They are widely available. What kind of car do you have?

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
Care to elaborate on why the Pro-King filters are junk?

My GT-S has one, works just fine like the OEM I have on the GT so far...no leaks or anything, I honestly didn't see a quality difference but then again it was visual.

i've used Pro King filters myself for quite awhile.

I've seen no real differences between them and the ones i've removed.

I think most parts store brands are all made by Filtran

I never had a problem with cheap AT filters such as Pro-King, however, most of those kits came with a gasket that was far inferior to OEM.

So in my family, I always use an OEM filter and gasket when I can.

yes i prefer the reuseable gaskets myself from oem.

but with the rubberized gaskets that i've used in the kits i can't say i've ever had any significant leaks.

maybe a little seepage here and there but after some re-snugging of the pan bolts no issues.

the cork gaskets of the past i found were of poor quality the new black rubber type seem to work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back