300 mpg vw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Advance Auto this afternoon, and the clerk asked me if I had heard that VW had announced that they had developed an engine that gets 300 MPG. I said that is impossible to run an internal combustion gasoline engine that lean. He swore it was true, but I think somebody is pulling his leg, or he is trying to pull mine.Has anyone else heard of this????

An engine for a bicycle?

It makes no sense to say an engine gets xxx mpg.

The aerodynamics of the car, rolling resistance, brake caliper drag etc. are a major component in fuel economy.

You could put the most efficient engine in the world in my corvette and it'd still be amazing to break 25 mpg.

300 mpg? Was it being towed on a car dolley with a really slow leak in the gas tank that leaked out 1 gallon after 300 miles? Lol

Originally Posted By: tstep
http://www.realfarmacy.com/volkswagens-new-300-mpg-car-not-allowed-in-america/

Seems outrageous, but 100 mph in somewhat normal vehicles seems to be achievable.

The article is bit much, but does have a vein of truth.

Some years ago I got together with a couple of retired guys from de havilland and Lotus, we sketched out a car based on a VW Polo TDI that would easy get 100mpg

We were going to build it, but the question remained, would you want to drive it?
(The price of fuel being what it is)

North America (still) does not have fuel efficient vehicles.
We drive here, what the (Fuel) market will bare.
Overall we could cut fuel consumption 30% and give up hardly anything.

But we don't have the option.

Last edited:
'MPG' ratings on electrical(ly assisted) vehicles. lol.
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/concept-cars/vw-reveals-new-300mpg-coupe

Diesel electric hybrid:
The XL1 is powered by an 800cc, two-cylinder turbodiesel powerplant (half a BlueMotion engine), producing 47bhp. It’s supported by a 27bhp electric motor that is fuelled by lithium-ion batteries. These can be charged from a domestic plug, allowing the car to travel for 35km (22 miles) on electric power alone.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
An engine for a bicycle?

It makes no sense to say an engine gets xxx mpg.

The aerodynamics of the car, rolling resistance, brake caliper drag etc. are a major component in fuel economy.

You could put the most efficient engine in the world in my corvette and it'd still be amazing to break 25 mpg.

The newer vettes have been getting great mileage with the smaller engines and tall top gear. The 2014 is rated up to 29 HWY and some of the mid 2006-2012 vettes i heard people beating the EPA ratings easily.

What year is your Corvette? Mine is an 05 and at a steady 60mph in 6th gear my best MPG is 37.0! The new ones are capable of over 40 MPG highway with their 7 speed transmission combined with being able to run on only 4 cylinders on the highway.

I find mpg ratings on vehicles that can be plugged in to be deceitful marketing. Electricity cost/mile plus fuel cost/mile may well be cheaper than other vehicles--but if I plug in my car so I can drive half my miles on electricity then claiming my mpg doubled is just shy of lying. Not unless if think electrons magically fall out of the sky.

Originally Posted By: expat
We were going to build it, but the question remained, would you want to drive it?

The Old Opel is case in point...

Originally Posted By: Patman

What year is your Corvette? Mine is an 05 and at a steady 60mph in 6th gear my best MPG is 37.0! The new ones are capable of over 40 MPG highway with their 7 speed transmission combined with being able to run on only 4 cylinders on the highway.

I was amazed when I got LESS than 25 mpg in my '96 Vette. Take it on a long highway trip and it was 27-28 mpg all day long. My 4 cyl 240sx cant even get near that.

Yep you have tons of torque in the low end so you don't need to rev it as high when you're being frugal.

Interesting to hear about your 37 mpg best, first I've heard that high from that generation.

The energy in diesel fuel (as incredible as it is) has significant limitations. 300MPG is achievable with "plug in" battery assist. Hopefully the electric power comes from solar....

For the silly example above, 300 miles on diesel fuel alone, at 50MPH would require 6 hours of run time.

So, the engine would consume about 21 ounces volume per hour or 1.16 pounds of fuel per hour.

Now, since fuel has a finite limit on energy content and diesel engines can achieve a BSFC of 0.4 lb/hr/hp, that 1.16 pounds of diesel can produce a whopping 2.9HP per hour.

Ain't gonna happen. 50MPH at a Cd of 0.12 requires about 7HP.

Some reports of Plug-in Hybrid cars state the 'MPG' as a
Cost Equivalent of the fuels used.

ie. 100 miles will COST the same as if you were to get X MPG at typical Gas and electricity prices.

Originally Posted By: quint

I was amazed when I got LESS than 25 mpg in my '96 Vette. Take it on a long highway trip and it was 27-28 mpg all day long. My 4 cyl 240sx cant even get near that.

Now lets put that into perspective.
OK the Corvette is a performance car, it is not expected to sell to people who need the ultimate in MPG.
But it is also a quite aerodynamic car, and none too heavy.

What would you expect the fuel consumption to be at a steady 90 mph?

What would you say if last year I was driving (an equivalent type vehicle of) a Nissan Rogue
at a steady 90mph with 4 people up, on the flat, and getting 43.3 U.S. MPG

It's a 75. It has the fixed calipers that drag a bit. The front and rear tow-in needed to keep it stable cause a lot of drag too. The drag coefficient on the old vettes is terrible.

What would you say if last year I was driving (an equivalent type vehicle of) a Nissan Rogue

I would say anything is possible on the internet. The next guy is going to say his car makes more gasoline than it uses.

I would say anything is possible on the internet. The next guy is going to say his car makes more gasoline than it uses.

Perhaps these 10 cars averaging well over 89 imp MPG will make me sound less of a Liar?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/pict...l?frame=2485580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back