Flat repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used them with great success, In fact Discount tire in CA repaired (free of charge) one of their tires with such a device, and it lasted the life of the tire (another 40k)

Originally Posted By: schuylkill
Is anyone familiar with this plug system?
http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm

You can get cheaper ones at Harbor freight. I was at princess auto today (The Canadian version of HF) and I picked up a slime tire plug repair kit on sale for $3.50.

I doubt there is much difference between a HF kit and the one you have a link too except the price.

Regards, JC.

Don't know how it happened, but a friend of mine got a lot of flats and patched his tires with a set similar to what is shown above. Ran the tires until there was no tread left on them. The plug didn't affect anything.

Let's start with the obvious problems
shocked.gif

"It worked just SUPER! It saved lots of time at the end of a long and weary day." DO.P. Oskaloosa IA"
"It has really been useful out on the farm. " L. M. Glen Elder KS"
"Your repair kits have been a lifesaver on the farm and in our autos." C.E.B. Clarington OH"
....Then they get worse
eek.gif

"Your repair kits have been a lifesaver on the farm and in our autos." C.E.B. Clarington OH"
.............And the final straw
mad.gif

"I repaired a steel belted radial on my dad's '86 Fort Taurus. Satisfied." D.H. Sask Canada"
template.jpg

I used a cheap 3$ set and it held up well. A big screw was in my tire, all air out within 30 mins. Patched it and used it the remainder of last season and all this year and it hasnt lost any air the whole winter. Worked great.

A little secret to ensuring the plugs don't get pulled out over time like people claim they're so prone to doing is to liberally coat the plug in rubber cement before inserting them into a well rasped hole.

The rasping helps to clean and roughen up the rubber to help the plug stick. And the rubber cement on top of gluing the plug in place and sealing it better when dried also acts as a lubricant while wet to help insert the plug with less chances of it tearing and overall make the process a lot easier.

Last edited:
I haven't had any problems with them. Just like many other things, it depends on the person using it.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Let's start with the obvious problems
shocked.gif

"It worked just SUPER! It saved lots of time at the end of a long and weary day." DO.P. Oskaloosa IA"
"It has really been useful out on the farm. " L. M. Glen Elder KS"
....Then they get worse
eek.gif

.............And the final straw
mad.gif

"I repaired a steel belted radial on my dad's '86 Fort Taurus. Satisfied." D.H. Sask Canada"

Michael,

I think that may have been too subtle for some folks.

First, plugs are considered temporary repairs. The reason for this is that they do not completely seal the tire from the inside. Pressurized air can and does leak out - and sometimes it will leak INTO the casing, causing a separation. This isn't a 100% phenomenon, but it happens way more often than tires repaired using a combination plug and patch.

The problem here is that we're talking percentages. For some reason, human being tend to ignore small percentages of failures - except when either they are directly affected, or there's a HUGE impact, such as a fatal plane crash. Just look at the latest GM ignition switch controversy. That's a tiny percent of the vehicles produced, and yet there is lots of noise being made.

These used to be the standard repair for tubeless tires. They are unacceptable as a repair on the current crop of radials. If in an emergency you must use one, the tire needs to be taken in for a proper repair with a patch on the inside.

Rubber Manufacturers Puncture Repair Procedures

Among the problems this type of repair can create is the intrusion of moisture into steel belts.

Btw, regardless of the repair method the speed rating of the tire is no longer valid after the repair.

Among the problems this type of repair can create is the intrusion of moisture into steel belts.

I'd say that was more often the problem if an inside patch ALONE was used.

Once upon a time, I used to Re tread tires, It was really amazing to see rusty steel belts in tires as you buff them.
Sometimes you are buffing a tire (Grinding the old tread off) and a 3"-4" section of tire would come flying off leaving a mass of rusty steel belts underneath.
Now, this would not be a Holed tire, just one where road debris had penetrated to the depth of the steel belt.

Plugs work great, In an emergency, to get the last few K out of an old tire, on a car that only see relatively low speeds.

Would I use them on my Bugatti?..........NO!

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Not correct. You can get water into the belts if you use only a patch, not only a plug.

Some people like to get in a tizzy about tire plugs, but in reality they're fine.

I worked at a tire shop about 10 years ago and we installed many hundreds of plugs while I was there. The only issues we ever came across were old plugs that had developed a slow leak.

Plugs are not the best way to repair a tire and they're not the RMA approved method, but they work fine. Much of the hysteria you read about them here on BITOG is not really accurate.

But, anyone who's going to use them, I encourage you to step up to one of the pricier brands, not the cheapest made-in-China ones you can get. I installed a cheap Chinese plug in a tire a couple years ago and it got a slow leak in several thousand miles. I replaced it with a good quality Safety Seal plug and it lasted well over 20k miles. It was still holding fine when I replaced the tire.

http://www.safetyseal.com/

A guy at a shop told me a few months ago, "Nobody patches tires any more, they just use plugs." It's apparently true, all the shops I went to didn't want to patch my tire, they just offered to plug it. Makes me want to go and get one of those Harbor Freight tire changers and just repair it myself. I finally relented and let them plug it. It better last a long time, because my Michelins wear like iron and they still have a lot of tread left.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Quote:

Not correct.

Actually .... correct.

Tire Rack - Flat Tire Repairs

String plugs are an improvement over a patch only on the inside - which is not a recommended repair method - but unlike a patch-plug or mushroom patch do not guarantee a watertight seal against moisture intrusion into the belt and cords.

The universally recommended repair involves a from-the-inside repair comprised of a patch with a plug which extends to and beyond the tread surface.

Michelin - Patch, Yes. Plug, No.

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Quote:

Not correct.

Actually .... correct.

Tire Rack - Flat Tire Repairs

String plugs are an improvement over a patch only on the inside - which is not a recommended repair method - but unlike a patch-plug or mushroom patch do not guarantee a watertight seal against moisture intrusion into the belt and cords.

The universally recommended repair involves a from-the-inside repair comprised of a patch with a plug which extends to and beyond the tread surface.

Michelin - Patch, Yes. Plug, No.

Again, plugs prevent water from entering the steel belts because they seal the path of the injury. I don't see anything in your posts saying only a plug allows water to get between the plies of a tire and rust the steel belts like you claim.

In fact, your Tire Rack link specifically mentions that solely PATCHING a tire (without the plug part) allows moisture into the steel belts. It's not plugs alone that do this, it's patches alone:
Quote:
While a patch on the inside of the tire reseals the innerliner, it does not fill the path of the puncture. This will allow moisture to reach the steel belts and/or the casing cords causing them to rust or deteriorate.

I'm not trying to be rude, this is a genuine question: do you have patches and plugs mixed up in your head? Are you actually confused and you're thinking of a round patch installed only on the inside of the tire when people here are saying "plug"?

I'm aware of the construction of a patch/plug, as I've installed many of them. If water can get by just a plug and get between the plies than it can also get by the plug part of a patch plug and get in between the plies. In that respect, they are the same.

The patch/plug combines the benefits of both repairs and is the best repair. I'm not arguing that. I'm specifically pointing out that your water intrusion argument against a plug -ahem- doesn't hold water.
laugh.gif

This is only a plug. It seals the path of the puncture so water can't reach the plies of the tire. But it doesn't include the inner patch portion:
plug_insert.jpg

This is only a patch (no plug part sealing the path of the puncture, so water can get to the steel belts):
patch4.jpg

This is a patch/plug. It seals the path of the injury, preventing water from getting to the steel belts, and also includes the round patch on the inside of the tire:
Tire-Patch-Plug.jpg

Here's a photo from the Tire Rack link specifically mentioning that using only a PATCH will allow water to reach the steel belts:
puncture_ill_sm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back