Craftsman: US vs. Chinese built

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used my Chinese set yesterday on a coworker's Acura's brakes. I used the hammer method to remove and reinstall the 2 caliper bolts and was surprised to see how well the wrench held up when it was all done. No dings or dents. Meanwhile my American wrench is all beat to heck from performing the same duties only 1 other time.

It's very interesting that a cheaper product held up better than the pricier one.

Harder steel but that doesn't necessarily make it better. Hit a hard drill bit or a tap with a hammer, you wont dent it either.
It has to be harder than the bolts and nuts it will be used on but not too hard or it gets brittle.

Wrenches are not like taps and dies and drill bits where harder is better.
They do make special wrenches that are meant to to be hit with a hammer.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What is the hammer method?

Smack a ball pein hammer on the open end side and it makes loosening the bolt much easier.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Smack a ball pein hammer on the open end side and it makes loosening the bolt much easier.

Works every time. I'm guilty
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav

lol.gif

That's called the "IMPACT" wrench!

Time will tell about that statement. I bought a NOS USA-made mechanics set a few years ago and they definitely seem to be better sorted than the China-made ones. Plating, fit of the internals on the ratchets, tooling marks are all better on the USA-made tools. I'll put up a side-by-side of a US and Chinese 1/4" ratchets to show the differences.

I think a lot of it, is Chinese tools got better and American tools got cheaper. American tool makers such as Craftsman now have to compete with the likes of Harbor freight. Truth be told, I ve found higher quality Harbor freight tools on par with Craftsman. Back in the old days, it was nothing to split a Chinese socket, or strip a wrench. Now its pretty hard to do, if not impossible. The quality of Chinese industry is improving and why shouldn't it, they get a lot of practice.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

lol.gif

That's called the "IMPACT" wrench!

This makes no sense.
confused.gif

lol.gif

I thought that I am one of the few doing this.

I'm all cleared out about my above statement now. Don't know how I misunderstood that.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BlownF150
Time will tell about that statement. I bought a NOS USA-made mechanics set a few years ago and they definitely seem to be better sorted than the China-made ones. Plating, fit of the internals on the ratchets, tooling marks are all better on the USA-made tools. I'll put up a side-by-side of a US and Chinese 1/4" ratchets to show the differences.

The ratchets to look to be of different dimensions I will say that. But as for quality I cant really tell. My US set was from 2010 so it may be the "lesser" US made ones.. Ill have to use my dads older set sometime and see how well they hold up.

This makes me was to use the Chinese set from now on though when I can and keep my US ones nice. They were a Christmas gift and have my name engraved on them. Kinda sentimental.

My vintage 1980's made in USA Craftsman tools are way better than today's Chinese tools or the more recent Made in USA Craftsman tools. Back them Craftsman hand tools they were made by Stanley.

Has anyone used the expensive fine tooth ratchet from Craftsman? Its about $75. If you break it you are likely to get a new one as I do not believe they have rebuild kits for it.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
My vintage 1980's made in USA Craftsman tools are way better than today's Chinese tools or the more recent Made in USA Craftsman tools. Back them Craftsman hand tools they were made by Stanley.

My dad used to have a set he got as a wedding gift. They were stolen about 10 years ago sadly.

I have a fine tooth 3/8" Craftsman USA made ratchet, and I use it. I don't know how they'd make it good if it breaks, but I don't believe that it'll be an issue as long as I don't try to do 1/2" work with it. The only feature it's missing is the socket lock. Other than that, it's very nicely done and at the price it's a great buy vs. jobber tools.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Has anyone used the expensive fine tooth ratchet from Craftsman? Its about $75. If you break it you are likely to get a new one as I do not believe they have rebuild kits for it.

I had a set of Crafttman pro Made in USA ratchets, I liked them, they had a nice feel and a smooth mechanism.
Back in 06 they had a great reviews but in 2011 the worst of the worst, wanting to know what happened of to Sears I went to find out.
Made in China. They looked the same, same part# and same price.

I asked about repair parts, none they replace it with a new one. I sold them on Craigslist that day.
For that kind of money you are closing in on Snap-On In the US or Hazet and Stahlwille in Germany.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

I agree. I have 2 sets '80 Made in USA Craftsman tools, they are not the same quality of Snap-On, but they are much better than current Craftsman tools.

Most of my Craftsman tools are US made and many date back to the 1970's. There is definitely a difference comparing them to what Sears sells today. I hope I don't have to replace them with the newer Chinese made tools. It's sad to see how Sears has evolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back