Junk new parts and multiple part failures

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Depends on the type. Most these days are thermostatic and react at a very specific temp.

Then there's a purely speed based unit that simply lets go at higher rpm...

A thermal clutch is normally fully engaged at start up. The silicon fluid inside them disperses as it spins around. As the fluid levels out, it disengages (spins much slower) at normal operating temps and only engages again when the temperature rises.. Like in standing traffic on a hot summer day.

IIRC, you should be able to take some rolled up newspaper and stop the fan while it is disengaged. I wasn't able to do this with my Hayden clutch. It just chopped the newspaper up. Lol.

Never read up on how the thermostatic fans worked; thanks. Do they work off the temp of the air around the fan, or do they somehow sense the coolant temp in the water pump? I know it's sandwiched between radiator and (typically) waterpump, not sure if that is "good enough" to sense water temp.

I believe there is a thermocouple on the fan clutch and it opens and closes depending on the heat coming from the rad

They run off the air temp inside the fan shroud. The clutch has a thermal coil like what you'd fine in an old school house thermostat. As it gets hotter, it expands and opens the valve.

For anyone who is curious, I did have issues with my Hayden fan clutch which was made in the USA. I returned it and bought the Torqueflo from AZ which also had the lifetime warranty. It works wonders and is made in South Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back