Need a replacement fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently the fan on my desktop starting making a loud noise. I tried cleaning all the dust off it, but it's still loud. I'm trying to find a replacement but I'm having a hard time finding one.

It's a Sunon KD1208PTS2 , 1.6W. It's a two wire fan, with no plug. Most of what I see have different watts, or have three wires.

Any help would be appreciated.

You do not have to replace that fan with the exact model, just one of the same size (120mm). I have had good luck with Noctua and Cougar fans. They are a little more pricey but are extremely quiet. A new fan will likely have a different connection but you can plug into a different molex connector.

Last edited:
Peel the sticker back at the centre of the fan and see if you have access to the bearing assembly (don't peel it all the way off, just enough to expose the centre). If so, you can drop some ATF in there and close it back up, will probably quieten it down.

Most computer fans use oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bearings. They start out much quieter than ball bearings, but wear out quickly when the oil eventually evaporates or turns gummy from heat. You can effectively lube them early, but not after they are noisy it's a waste of time.

You can replace the fan with a two, three or four pin model, with a matching voltage. Most fans operate on 12V, but there are 5V and even 3.3V fans.

Three pin fans add a tachometer report. This is strictly an output (open collector), and can be left disconnected.

Four pin fans add a speed control input, but it defaults to full speed if not connected (pulled high internally).

Originally Posted By: djb
Most computer fans use oil-impregnated bronze sleeve bearings. They start out much quieter than ball bearings, but wear out quickly when the oil eventually evaporates or turns gummy from heat. You can effectively lube them early, but not after they are noisy it's a waste of time.

You can replace the fan with a two, three or four pin model, with a matching voltage. Most fans operate on 12V, but there are 5V and even 3.3V fans.

Three pin fans add a tachometer report. This is strictly an output (open collector), and can be left disconnected.

Four pin fans add a speed control input, but it defaults to full speed if not connected (pulled high internally).

I've revived probably 50+ noisy fans. I've only had a few that were beyond saving. It's free and only takes a minute or two to try, so I think it is worth a shot.

As long as it is the same size and the connector type is the same (even if not the same you can always crimp the power wires and ignore the temp and speed sensor).

If they were noisy chances are it is easier to just replace them.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I've revived probably 50+ noisy fans. I've only had a few that were beyond saving. It's free and only takes a minute or two to try, so I think it is worth a shot.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for all the help. I will try a little oil on it, and see what happens. It's about 8 years old, so it's had a good run.

This fan doesn't even have a plug, it's hard wired in, so I'll have to splice a new one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back