How to break into garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I was thinking.

Instead of doing a Google search, they come here.

And several answer.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Someone on the internet asks how to break into a house and you guys give advice?

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I hate to ask, but don't you guys lock the door that leads from the garage into your house?
Even if they get past the garage door, they still have to get through the entry door, too.

Yeah but they have all day, privacy, and maybe some power tools.
lol.gif

They could even just knock out the sheetrock and slither through that 14.5" hole.

Or just reach in and unlock the door through the hole in the sheet rock.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I hate to ask, but don't you guys lock the door that leads from the garage into your house?
Even if they get past the garage door, they still have to get through the entry door, too.

Yeah but they have all day, privacy, and maybe some power tools.
lol.gif

They could even just knock out the sheetrock and slither through that 14.5" hole.

Originally Posted By: Burt
My neighbor returned after years of renting his house. The keys only work on the dead bolt maybe because the renter changed the locks on the door knobs? And his garage door remote opener doesn't work. So then his wife inadvertently locked the garage door so they can't get in. He's too cheap to hire a locksmith and wanted me to take a hammer and knock the knob off. I don't want to damage the door. Can I drill it out or any ideas how to break in?

Vice grips.
Put them tight around the neck of the door knob and turn. It cranks the entire assembly around which sucks in the latch.
A new knob is cheap. A locksmith isn't.
I've done this time and time again,getting into abandoned rentals where the renter locked the owner out.
Lock the vice grips on as tight s possible in the 12 o'clock position. Then crank it around to the 6 o'clock position.
And your in.

Originally Posted By: expat
I have had to break in several times. The easiest way is to put a large pipe wrench to the handle and twist it until it breaks internally.

$20 for a new lock, and away you go.

A locksmith around here would cost about $150.

Close. It doesn't break inside but it cranks the entire assembly opening the door.

How paying a locksmith is cheaper in the long run makes any sense is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I have had to break in several times. The easiest way is to put a large pipe wrench to the handle and twist it until it breaks internally.

Close. It doesn't break inside but it cranks the entire assembly opening the door.

I guess it's the Right thing to do!

Locks, just keep casual thieves and passers by out.

A determined thief will get in anyway.

I'd rather they break a $10 lock than cut a hole in the wall.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I guess it's the Right thing to do!

Locks, just keep casual thieves and passers by out.

A determined thief will get in anyway.

I'd rather they break a $10 lock than cut a hole in the wall.

My point exactly.
I didn't read the answers before I posted. But when I saw yours I thought yep,there's a guy who's done this before.

I see the posts about drilling out the lock. Pffffft.

I can get into a house with vice grips faster than a person with a key.
Your method is the same basic idea as well. Getting the knob to turn and making the pin move inward.

Expat

My dad always told me that locks were for honest people. I never understood what that meant until I realized if someone wants to steal something they are going to steal it.
Locks,chains,bars,safes,are all merely deterents and are not infailable.
I found a safe once. Long story.
I broke the backside with 3 swings of a 12 pound sledge.
Point being is that a determined person can accomplish anything they put their mind to. And if they've decided to put their minds into ripping someone off,they will.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Burt, Drive your car through the garage door with guns blazing!

Actually I thought someone would suggest using a .45 slug!

Originally Posted By: Burt
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Burt, Drive your car through the garage door with guns blazing!

Actually I thought someone would suggest using a .45 slug!

It works on TV and in the movies.

Or a Humane killer like in 'No country for old men'

If the dead bolt isn't locked you can jimmy most doors with an old CC, its not hard. Stick the CC in on an angle and move it up or down, trying to push the latch back into the door from the backside.

Someone on the internet asks how to break into a house and you guys give advice?

The typical residential door even with a dead bolt can be broken threw in under a minute. Even if the dead bolt is engaged not much is holding it, how do you think SWAT guys get in? Sledge hammer or kick the dead bolt and the jam explodes. Dead bolts are just to keep honest people honest.

If you have security concerns you need a real front door.

Oh and if you have a glass slider or French doors those are a security failure point unless you spend serious money on the bullet/kick proof glass.

You need a product like this and a good lock set to keep the crack head from throwing your propane tank threw the slider glass.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Dead bolts are just to keep honest people honest.

I've never understood that saying. "Honest" people don't try to break into buildings in the first place.

I watched that first video and was surprised how well the 'Cheap door' stood up.
Of course beating in the middle of the door like that is really silly.

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link!

How are the Walls, Windows, or Best of all, The roof!

To the 35 people that have responded to this post "How to break into garage"... the Cops are watching you.
lol.gif

The typical residential door even with a dead bolt can be broken threw in under a minute. Even if the dead bolt is engaged not much is holding it, how do you think SWAT guys get in? Sledge hammer or kick the dead bolt and the jam explodes. Dead bolts are just to keep honest people honest.

If you have security concerns you need a real front door.

Got one.
smile.gif
It's 3" thick, about 1000lbs of New England maple, and the deadbolt goes into a heavily-built jamb that looks like it could support a train. I love old houses.

The typical residential door even with a dead bolt can be broken threw in under a minute.

When I was 16 years old, I was probably 5' 4" tall and maybe 130 lbs. A family member locked himself in the garage with vehicles running. I had absolutely no problem kicking in that door with the deadbolt locked.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
When I was 16 years old, I was probably 5' 4" tall and maybe 130 lbs. A family member locked himself in the garage with vehicles running. I had absolutely no problem kicking in that door with the deadbolt locked.

Suicide attempt?

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back