Leaky 3.0 Duratec - 160,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 ford escape 3.0 that is about to reach 160,000 miles. I have been running 5w-20 synthetic but it has been leaking a bunch lately. I am debating whether to move up to 5w-30 synthetic or run a 5w-20 conventional or high mileage oil. It looks like 5w-30 used to be the spec for this engine but then ford changed it to 5w-20 a while back.

What would you guys do? I am trying to minimize sludge as much as possible. I bought the vehicle used at 146,000 miles and it was abused to [censored]...

Last edited:
I'd try a high mileage oil first, which have thicker viscosity. Mobil 1 & maxlife has full syn versions. Do a couple OCI and see if leaking slows, if not then maybe go up a grade or pick thicker 20 grade.
Some people have luck with liqui-moly motor oil saver from NAPA also

Valvoline MaxLife syn-blend Red bottle 5w30. DONE! That way it shouldn't leak like a sieve any more.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Valvoline MaxLife syn-blend Red bottle 5w30. DONE! That way it shouldn't leak like a sieve any more.

+1

How bad of a leak are you talking here? You could always move to a conventional 10w40 high mileage if your trying to save every penny. Supertech makes one.

This is not a particularly easy engine to access so there aren't a lot of oil leaks that are simple to fix. Mine had a front cover leak and 5w/20 Mobil1 HM has done a fine job: I can't say the leak is completely gone but it's probably reduced by 95%.

HM oils do take time to work so don't expect an overnight cure - give it at least an OCI or two. And of course if a seal is fundamentally damaged, there's not much a HM oil can do.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

This.

it is a very slow leak and a very [censored] car. Not worth fixing the leak. I've already put 5x the amount of money I should have put into this P.O.S.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'm going to try valvoline maxlife synthetic blend 5w-20 and if that doesn't slow it down enough to my liking I will try the 5w-30.

Last edited:
the leak is dripping off my oil pan. I have already had timing cover replaced, timing chain, water pump, and I have had the oil pan replaced.

I am also on the MaxLife train, this would be my first move for a oil leak IMO, as long as it isn't a crazy big leak.

Maxlife x whatever it is now. We moved my son's high mileage Ranger with the 3.0 to Maxlife 5w30 a few changes ago, and consumption has gone down considerably. Still runs/starts great even when it's bitter cold.

We did not have any leaks to deal with, but Maxlife is as likely as any if not more so to help that issue as well.

Not sure how much you can see in there but those engines are known for leaking oil from the head gasket. It runs down the block and drips off of the oil pan in the vehicles that I have seen with that issue. The engines I had to replace head gaskets on all were leaking from the rear cylinder head but I believe they can leak from either side. 5w30 high mileage oil is probably a good choice to see if it helps. If it is indeed the head gasket, it won't help.

I'd give Maxlife a try in a 5W-30.
Either red or green bottle, if you can even find green bottle Maxlife anymore.
You have nothing to lose and this may slow the leak to a more resonable rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back