SuperTech Full Synthetic Vs. Pennzoil Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gfh77665
[http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

One example, NOACK, 6.6 vs. 11.3. There you go. Enjoy your popcorn.

Supertech: $17.50

PU: $35-$50

Supertech wins.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I'm also intrigued what brings about this questioning.

I'm asking the question because nobody else has. I didn't know SuperTech full synthetic doesn't meet manufacturer's specifications until I started this thread. You answered the question and I appreciate it. Thank you.

I have not read all 20 posts. But Supertech 5W30 does in fact meet a few manufactures specs including Ford.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._sp#Post3307068

^ It isn't that Supertech is bad. It is that vehicle warranties call for usage of oils that meet the manufacturer specifications.

Straight from the owner's manual for my 2007 Ford Focus: "To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A."

Supertech Full Synthetic 5w20 does not meet Ford WSS30 (or the updated Ford WSS45), and would not be deemed appropriate protection by Ford.

I'm also intrigued what brings about this questioning. You have been member on these forums for 7 years with 7000+ posts.

^ This is straight-up bad information. So a 2007 "SM" rated oil is "above standard" for a 2014 SN rated oil? What is going on? Not only that, but before GM got greedy and is now going to be using your oil licenses fees to pay-off their ignition design flaw legal battles, ST was an approved oil as recently as 2008-2009 (Pre-Dexos). You 2007 Zetec engine is nothing special... it does not have significantly high-enough requirements.

I'm asking the question because nobody else has. I didn't know SuperTech full synthetic doesn't meet manufacturer's specifications until I started this thread. You answered the question and I appreciate it. Thank you.

It does and I am willing to bet my year's salary that it meets 98%+ of all private vehicle needs on the road today.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Supertech wins.
wink.gif

PU is $25 right now.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
PU is $25 right now.

Not available locally to me and thus I added the $9 to ship. None of the local auto-shops are running a PU deal (PP + Filter is $35... and that is the best local option). ST still cheaper.

^ It isn't that Supertech is bad. It is that vehicle warranties call for usage of oils that meet the manufacturer specifications.

Straight from the owner's manual for my 2007 Ford Focus: "To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A."

Supertech Full Synthetic 5w20 does not meet Ford WSS30 (or the updated Ford WSS45), and would not be deemed appropriate protection by Ford.

I'm also intrigued what brings about this questioning. You have been member on these forums for 7 years with 7000+ posts.

^ This is straight-up bad information. So a 2007 "SM" rated oil is "above standard" for a 2014 SN rated oil? What is going on? Not only that, but before GM got greedy and is now going to be using your oil licenses fees to pay-off their ignition design flaw legal battles, ST was an approved oil as recently as 2008-2009 (Pre-Dexos). You 2007 Zetec engine is nothing special... it does not have significantly high-enough requirements.
Notice the underlined portion of my original post FutureDoc. I am fully aware that Ford WSS30 is an outdated specification, which is why I mentioned the up-to-date Ford WSS45.

Getting back to my original point, SuperTech does not officially meet any manufacturer specifications.

Last edited:
Getting back to my original point, SuperTech does not officially meet any manufacturer specifications.

By that logic Mobil One does not meet any Ford or Chrysler specifications. Only DEXOS-1.

Mobil 1 5W-20 synthetic motor oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

Hyde244 said:

Notice the underlined portion of my original post FutureDoc. I am fully aware that Ford WSS30 is an outdated specification, which is why I mentioned the up-to-date Ford WSS45.

I am no Ford guy, but WSS 445 is non-existent in my quick google-search. I am assuming you are missing a "9" in the typing.

ST meets m2c946 which is the main concern for 5w30. I expect it is m2c945 for 5w20. (Would be odd for one but not the other). Basically Ford uses ISLAC GL-5 so if it meets that, you are good (few exceptions exist... not as up-to-date with the Eco-boost demands either).

Last edited:
I just pulled the 2014 Focus because I was curious...

In one section,

Quote:
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the
American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this
trademark symbol conforms to the current engine
and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricants
Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC), comprised of
U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Elsewhere in the "Capacities" they list M2C945-A

I just pulled the 2014 Focus because I was curious...

In one section,

Quote:
Only use oils certified for gasoline engines by the
American Petroleum Institute (API). An oil with this
trademark symbol conforms to the current engine
and emission system protection standards and fuel
economy requirements of the International Lubricants
Specification Advisory Council (ILSAC), comprised of
U.S. and Japanese automobile manufacturers.

Elsewhere in the "Capacities" they list M2C945-A

Which Supertech synthetic meets the performance criteria just like Mobil One.

Supertech wins.
wink.gif

He did not ask about price. You brought it up, and you were even wrong about that.

Supertech wins.
wink.gif

He did not ask about price. You brought it up, and you were even wrong about that.

He asked:
Which is better and why ?
35.gif

ST is "better" because it meets current standards at 1/2 the price. I consider that an acceptable metric for determining "which is better".

If I head out to the store in my town, Pennzoil Ultra is only available at $9.19 per qt. That is $46 (jugs or other discounts are not available for PU right now. ST is 17.50 for 5qts. So, for an immediate "in-hand" comparison, yeah PU is nearly $50. If you order online, it is $34.XX when you factor in shipping costs.

My opinion is in a normal vehicle like the 2014 Ford Focus...either PU or ST syn (when changed at regular intervals...of say 5 to 7K) will keep the engine running great for as long as you care to own it.

If I had a VW, BMW, MB etc... I would definitely use oil of the proper spec.... I have a turbo Cruze and will use only synthetic in order to protect the turbo. I would not have a problem running ST (even though it doesn't meet dexos....PU doesn't meet dexos either although I believe it would if it was tested). I think ST would probably meet dexos too but they don't want the cost associated with the spec. in order to keep the price down.

I realize it takes alotta nerve to ask the question, but why Ultra better ?

In your application with your short OCIs, I'd say SuperTech is better. It will be significantly cheaper and exceeds all specifications you need. Given your short OCIs, conventional SuperTech would be better still.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
I realize it takes alotta nerve to ask the question, but why Ultra better ?

In your application with your short OCIs, I'd say SuperTech is better. It will be significantly cheaper and exceeds all specifications you need. Given your short OCIs, conventional SuperTech would be better still.
wink.gif

I second ^ opinion.

Since Ferrari vouches for penzoil.....im going to say penzoil. Ya not everyone drives a ferrari, but ST is not going anywhere near a vehicle of that caliber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back