Toyota recalls 6.4m cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
Toyota is acknowledging the problem, GM hid it.

This time. When it was runaway cars Toyota sure did a good job of trying to hide it.

Then lied to investigators to cover it up, that is why they were fined.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

This time. When it was runaway cars Toyota sure did a good job of trying to hide it.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I guess the airbag thing may kill with no fault to the driver. But this GM ignition switch thing seems way overblown.

My take is folks shouldn't be driving if they can't respond to the engine stalling, etc. Not to mention there is an easy work around, don't put 5# of crud on your key ring.

But like most things, it's get blown up in the "media" and internet echo chambers.

It wasn't engine stalling, it was having steering locked, no brake assist, and airbags off.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
I guess the airbag thing may kill with no fault to the driver. But this GM ignition switch thing seems way overblown.

My take is folks shouldn't be driving if they can't respond to the engine stalling, etc. Not to mention there is an easy work around, don't put 5# of crud on your key ring.

But like most things, it's get blown up in the "media" and internet echo chambers.

It wasn't engine stalling, it was having steering locked, no brake assist, and airbags off.

The steering doesn't lock, power assist is lost.

Cant gin up a real answer take the moral high road i say.
Toyota was just fined for doing the exact same thing.
lol.gif

http://www.examiner.com/article/toyota-accused-of-hiding-defect-and-will-be-fined

Originally Posted By: Trav

lol.gif

http://www.examiner.com/article/toyota-accused-of-hiding-defect-and-will-be-fined

Just in case someone missed it. Toyota did the exact same thing as GM. Still, I haven't seen a single person claim they will never buy another Toyota.
Remember the hysteria over the 2 Tesla fires? Where's the outrage and hand wringing about the Toyota fires?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: whip
Still, I haven't seen a single person claim they will never buy another Toyota.

I won't buy another Toyota. And I won't buy another GM.

But the reasons for both have nothing to do with their current recalls.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The sad thing here is people really believe that any huge mega corporation 'cares'.

Astonishingly naive, they only care about money. I would fearlessly buy GM (and do) or Toyota (we don't) and let the buyer beware...

lol.gif

Just in case someone missed it. Toyota did the exact same thing as GM. Still, I haven't seen a single person claim they will never buy another Toyota.
Remember the hysteria over the 2 Tesla fires? Where's the outrage and hand wringing about the Toyota fires?

That's just the mentality of Japanese car owners.

"My 2002 Accord v6 is on it's third transmission. I have had to pay for each one. Hondas are great cars!"

"My Toyota sludged up and ble the engine. It's okay, they are great cars"

"My Honda with VCM ate a camshaft. But it's a honda and they run forever"

"I can't figure out how to operate the touch screen radio on my Ford ... pieces of garbage, I'll never buy another one"

Before anyone accuses me of it - I'm not saying that Japanese automobiles are inferior to American vehicles. It just takes significantly more problems to get someone to swear off a Japanese brand.

Well I think that even though some cars have these problems most don't.

I have a chevy cobalt that might be recalled but I haven't had any problems with it over 5 years. I only had to replace the front side marker bulbs and it drives fine and quiet and gets great gas mileage.

So I won't be dissing chevy because my direct experience has been great so far. Many people have Toyotas and no problems so they stand by them. It's kind of human nature.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

lol.gif

That's just the mentality of Japanese car owners.

"My 2002 Accord v6 is on it's third transmission. I have had to pay for each one. Hondas are great cars!"

"My Toyota sludged up and ble the engine. It's okay, they are great cars"

"My Honda with VCM ate a camshaft. But it's a honda and they run forever"

"I can't figure out how to operate the touch screen radio on my Ford ... pieces of garbage, I'll never buy another one"

Before anyone accuses me of it - I'm not saying that Japanese automobiles are inferior to American vehicles. It just takes significantly more problems to get someone to swear off a Japanese brand.

I have to say I agree with you. I saw it first hand when I had my Accord and Jetta, They would have something wrong, I would get it fixed and people would say things like, "Oh it good to go now (which they were not) or be glad it isn't a Ford, GM or Chrysler."
One story really sticks in my mind...
I had a 1991 Corvette the 700R4 died at 190,000 miles. Happens when you drive a car hard for that many miles. My neighgor who had an 03 Accord, gave me a real hard time about it. When his auto tranny went out at 78,000 miles and he had to have it swapped, it was OK becuase it was a Honda and the engine will go 200,000 miles without a problem. When I mentioned that is about what the first transmission in the Corvette went and the engine had tons of life left in it his reply was..."Well dosen't really matter it is a Chevy so it is still a POS, just not put together well."
Never understood that logic. I never had any problem with that Corvette except the transmission and when that died, It got a stroker motor too because it was easy to get the engine in and out at that point.
smile.gif

I think american cars with their big cast iron v8s that would last forever were often paired with bodies that were designed to be obsolete and re-designed in 2 or 3 years got them kind of a bad rep.

Things are much different now. My chevy is better than any of the Hondas', Nissan's, mazda's or toyota's I have owned in the past (of course newer imports are probably better than those from the past as well).

People keep all brands of cars much longer than they did 20 years ago.

I remember when a car passed 60K a lot of people started thinking about ditching it before it reached the dreaded 100K which automatically meant junkyard.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

I had a 1991 Corvette the 700R4 died at 190,000 miles. Happens when you drive a car hard for that many miles. My neighgor who had an 03 Accord, gave me a real hard time about it. When his auto tranny went out at 78,000 miles and he had to have it swapped, it was OK becuase it was a Honda and the engine will go 200,000 miles without a problem. When I mentioned that is about what the first transmission in the Corvette went and the engine had tons of life left in it his reply was..."Well dosen't really matter it is a Chevy so it is still a POS, just not put together well."
Never understood that logic. I never had any problem with that Corvette except the transmission and when that died, It got a stroker motor too because it was easy to get the engine in and out at that point.
smile.gif

You sure he was being truthful, and not just playing? Kinda like how some people will argue for the sake of arguing. They have no horse in the race but enjoy the banter.

I dunno. I think I had a good run with my VW, and I like the car, but it wasn't trouble free and I know plenty who would have ditched it long ago. As much as I like it I'm not sure I would be a repeat buyer even though I love it when all is well. I'm actually having issues at the moment, my brother wants one and I want to say all but "don't", even though we both know about the (possible) issues and how well it works when it is all working.

Actually, no, it didn't lock, it would turn to the accessory position, where the airbag didn't work.

So the driver could steer the car, apply the brakes, etc. Maybe even turn the key back to the run position.

I don't recall reading any incidents where the key turned to lock, simply that it turned to accessory and that the air bags do not work in that key position.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

I find it very interesting that not a single poster has sworn to never buy a Toyota like they did in the GM recall thread.

I swore that in the 1980s. No need to re-swear it now! :p

It just takes significantly more problems to get someone to swear off a Japanese brand.

I disagree with the generalization, but I certainly know that examples of it exist. If you're pre-disposed to think one way or the other, you'll tend to think that way.

I know people who have had nothing but problems with "domestic" vehicles and think they're the best, because they like them.

I know people who have had nothing but problems with "foreign" vehicles and think they're the best, because they like them.

If you see someone who loves their Honda despite major problems, it's probably because they've been conditioned to think Hondas are better. If you see someone who loves their Ford despite major problems, it's probably because they've been conditioned to think Fords are better. I know people who have been in both camps, and I can't say with certainly whether one crowd really out-numbers the other.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: ls1mike

smile.gif

You sure he was being truthful, and not just playing? Kinda like how some people will argue for the sake of arguing. They have no horse in the race but enjoy the banter.

Yeah I am sure. I can take a good beating after lots of years on submarines. He was the type of guy who was right no matter what. I was so happy when he moved. The neighbors were awesome!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It just takes significantly more problems to get someone to swear off a Japanese brand.

I disagree with the generalization, but I certainly know that examples of it exist. If you're pre-disposed to think one way or the other, you'll tend to think that way.

I know people who have had nothing but problems with "domestic" vehicles and think they're the best, because they like them.

I know people who have had nothing but problems with "foreign" vehicles and think they're the best, because they like them.

If you see someone who loves their Honda despite major problems, it's probably because they've been conditioned to think Hondas are better. If you see someone who loves their Ford despite major problems, it's probably because they've been conditioned to think Fords are better. I know people who have been in both camps, and I can't say with certainly whether one crowd really out-numbers the other.

I can honestly say my Chrysler and GM products have been very good. I have had problems with Ford, though. That being said, I never felt import brands were superior to anything domestic. They just have better quality control in some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back