Mag 1 Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some research and it looks like Mag1 5W-40 seems to be a decent product.

Has anyone had good results with this motor oil?

I have used both the Euro and the All-Fleet (diesel) versions. The Euro I ran in my Saturn for about 7200 miles. The All-Fleet is in my Beetle currently.

If you want an HDEO for a gasoline application, the Mag 1 may be better than most. It has a great additive pack, great cold flow properties, and its HTHS is "only" 3.5, compared to 4.00+ for many others.

Amazon has the All-Fleet on sale for about $16/gal every now and then.

Honestly I had no idea this oil even existed until recently, I'm glad to hear so many good things about it. According to the Mag 1 website the European version is SN approved as well, not bad!

Might give it a shot in the future.

I noticed that the All Fleet version is really light on Ca and heavy on Mg. I don't know what to make of that, or if it's even a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I noticed that the All Fleet version is really light on Ca and heavy on Mg. I don't know what to make of that, or if it's even a bad thing.

That add pack balance tends to show up in higher tier oils, so I'd consider it a good thing.

Diesel oils are quite often heavy on Mg.
But many gasoline engine oils have Mg too, but in lower concentrations.

Just noticed that the Mag1 5W-40 VOA shows it doesn't have any Molybdenum. I know companies use different anti wear additives that don't come up sometimes.

Anything to worry about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back