Napa syn 5w/30 4898 miles 10493 miles Travese

Status
Not open for further replies.
And another thing I was taking into consideration was your truck -- it's shedding an awful lot of copper with the same oil.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
I am going to stick my head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong it'll just before the warranty runs out.

What do you believe is wrong?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm thinking modern day engines that are manufactured to such strict tolerances - shouldn't shed that much metal. Obviously the OP can do what he wants, but if it were my car and I was going to get another UOA in the future anyway, I'd try a different oil.

I don't care how strict the tolerances are or how strict they become. There will be break in wear and contamination. And we should be well aware the purpose of a UOA isn't to read "wear metals" and then decide upon a different oil because the one being used is somehow inadequate, even though it's quite within the specifications for the engine.

That's not using UOAs for their correct purpose. That's turning them into astrological devices - in other words, hokum.

If it were me, I'd almost completely ignore the "wear metals" on the second OCI of a new vehicle. The only thing I'd be really paying attention to is the lubricant condition to see if the length of the OCI is out of whack.

A lubricant is supposed to serve the engine. We shouldn't be trying to tailor it to preconceived UOA numbers. There's one very good, reliable way to get good UOA numbers. Don't drive the vehicle.

That depends if that's normal for the engine. Some engines shear oil, others do not. Blackstone isn't always too precise with fuel dilution. This case doesn't look like huge fuel dilution, given the flash point, but one never knows.

Shearing out of grade isn't terribly uncommon, especially when one looks at a lot of applications over the years. GMs have been served fine by 5w-30 for close to thirty years, and with much poorer 5w-30s than are available now. With a synthetic 5w-30 that is likely dexos1 compliant, I wouldn't worry terribly much, especially this early in the vehicle's life.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I am going to stick my head in the sand and pretend nothing is wrong it'll just before the warranty runs out.

What do you believe is wrong?

I dont think anything is wrong but apparently others do.

If blackstone isnt concerned then I am not going yo be concerned.

All this uoa was for was to see if this oil is doing what I need it to do. And it is.

Last edited:
dave1251 said:
jhellwig said:
If blackstone isnt concerned then I am not going yo be concerned.

All this uoa was for was to see if this oil is doing what I need it to do. And it is.

^^^^This^^^^

Last edited:
I'm sorry a cst@100 of 7.84 for a 30 grade is absolutely abysmal. I'd be shopping for a new 5w30.

Originally Posted By: Garak
What is the likelihood that another resource conserving dexos1 type of 5w-30 will do better?

Quite likely indeed IMO seeing as this is one of the worst oil shears I've seen in a while.

I'd still say we have to wait and see how this engine family does. We're way to early in its life and we're concerned about one UOA with shear. Of course, it would be nice to see UOAs of other vehicles with the same engine and oil against which to compare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back