Auto Hobby Shop Closed: Oil Change Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
The short: The Auto Hobby Shop I do all of my maintenance at is closed and I have no idea when, if ever, it will reopen. I have a stash of oil and filters ready to use, but no where to change my wife's oil, which is currently as listed in my sig, with ~-1,200 miles on the MM (7-8k on oil, with recent top off of 3/4 quart.) My oil will be due in another 1.5k miles, as well.

I own a condo, which does not allow this kind of maintenance in the parking lot. I have friends whom I can ask to use their driveway in exchange for doing their oil change as well, but I'd rather not impose.

The other option is to have a shop do the oil change for me, using my oil and filter. I've never done this before, and don't really have a shop that I trust, since I do all of my own maintenance.

So, what do my fellow condo owners/renters think? All other options welcome, too.

The long:I have been changing my oil, doing brake and strut jobs, and various other mods/repairs that require or would benefit from a lift at the base Auto Hobby Shop for years now. Since I started doing my own maintenance there 5 or so years ago I've noted some pretty big changes in the negative direction: The workers (usually sailors on LIMDU, or limited duty) used to be knowledgeable guys who would happily help out in any way they could. One of my first experiences there involved a couple of really swell fellows who helped me with a really [censored] strut job (lots of rust, I lost my helper, and a lack of proper tools due to theft,) staying well past closing to complete the job and get me back on the road.

More recently, workers are not able to provide assistance, and the tools that were pretty sparse before have become even more so, I’m assuming due to theft or breakage. I was an idiot and, because neither they nor I had the correct tool, ended up breaking one of their cheap adapters. I bought them a new one that could handle being used at high torque values, though I doubt they would have followed up and bugged me about it had I not done so.

Over the past year, I noticed a petition box was posted outside of the pay window. They said there were rumors that the shop would be shut down, but it never happened. There had been rumors of that happening since I started going there, but nothing ever seemed to happen. A few lifts that had been out of commission for years were also fixed and the place has been run pretty efficiently most recently, so I never thought twice about it being closed down. I was there a couple of months ago doing my oil change and no one said anything about an impending or rumored shutdown.

Well, I went to change the oil in my wife’s Civic before going on travel a few weeks ago and it was shut down, with a little sign that said something along the lines of, “The Hobby Shop will be closed until further notice.” I got back from travel and checked yesterday, and it’s still closed, though the sign was removed.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions…

I've been bringing oil and filters out of my stash to my mechanics. None of them refused, but its a little test to see how they operate. Usually there has been other work to do so they don't specifically charge for doing the oil change. The one guy I didn't like charged full price for the change in addition to the other work, but it was a cheap way to find out I don't want to do business with him, before something expensive came along.

"I have friends whom I can ask to use their driveway in exchange for doing their oil change as well, but I'd rather not impose."

To many that is not imposing at all. Seems like they would welcome the trade. I do my own changes and like to do several at the same time. It takes more time to get everything out and ready and clean up afterwards, than it does to do just one oil change. So combining jobs makes sense.

Many (now most) folks are not car savvy or into mechanics. Many would enjoy having a gearhead around where they might learn something.

Last edited:
Go rogue and change your oil in the condo parking lot.
I did that for 5 years when I was renting an apartment.
Just be very careful about spillage.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: user52165
"I have friends whom I can ask to use their driveway in exchange for doing their oil change as well, but I'd rather not impose."

To many that is not imposing at all. Seems like they would welcome the trade. I do my own changes and like to do several at the same time. It takes more time to get everything out and ready and clean up afterwards, than it does to do just one oil change. So combining jobs makes sense.

+1

If anything, it's just doing 'guy stuff" that benefits both of you!

I know people who change oil in parking lots, side streets. There is chance someone could complain but doubtful if only takes 15-20 min.

Any oil change place or shop will use customer oil & filter but costs more. Best place here charged $10 "labor" to pay workers, worst full price.

Could take the risk and do it at Walmart, like in the afternoon while it is busy, out in the back corner. Seems doubtful that anyone is watching the security cameras closely, and if you are quick, you'd be gone before there was a problem. If caught, could claim you were waiting for the spouse to come out, and you were just using oil that you had just bought there... or similar.

I say, do it at the friends house, at least once. Might bring some cardboard to catch any spills, as they might have zero tolerance for mess; but otherwise, what is the point of having friends who are good enough to let you change oil in their driveway?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I own a condo, which does not allow this kind of maintenance in the parking lot.

Dress in all black and use night vision goggles.
thumbsup2.gif

I like the rogue idea. I'd do it sunday morning on a road in an industrial park. Might as well make a game of it. I'd get a blitz type drain pan; shove it in a cheap trash bag when you're done so any dribbles don't get on your trunk carpet. Either use drive on ramps or just drive up on a curb through a cut-out. If you must level out your car, use a couple 2x6s under the low wheel. Find a natural ditch surrounded by cement. This sort of thing.

I'm liking the rogue idea now, too! I have Fumoto valves on both vehicles, so the risk of spillage should be minimal, and can be easily secured. I think I'll hold out for another month to see how things go with the Hobby Shop before I feel that I HAVE to change the oil in both.

If the Hobby Shop doesn't open back up, I think I'll be returning the VWB I got on sale for $2.20/quart for something that will allow for an extended drain. Waiting for a lift at the Hobby Shop was sometimes a pain, but at least I was able to walk around and see what every one else was working on, and help out with the easy stuff or where four hands were better than two (or to engage the lift safeties for the new guy standing beneath a death trap...) If the Hobby Shop is no more, the extended drains will minimize the time I worry about one of my neighbors dropping the dime on me (namely, the loud guy with the loud dog I just yelled at a few nights ago for being so freaking loud.)

I'll also talk to a few of my buddies, and take the Yelp advice to solidify my other options, just in case I find myself scrambling later next month.

Thanks again, guys and gals

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I like the rogue idea. I'd do it sunday morning on a road in an industrial park. Might as well make a game of it. I'd get a blitz type drain pan; shove it in a cheap trash bag when you're done so any dribbles don't get on your trunk carpet. Either use drive on ramps or just drive up on a curb through a cut-out. If you must level out your car, use a couple 2x6s under the low wheel. Find a natural ditch surrounded by cement. This sort of thing.

That's not a bad idea, actually. With the Fumoto valve and a good catch pan, it shouldn't take long at all, especially in a remote area where the likelihood of getting caught is low.

On the Forester, the filter is on top, too, so maybe a solution that uses the dipstick might be worth considering. Heck, I could probably slide far enough under the Forester to place a pan without even needing to lift it...

Last edited:
Going to industrial or office parking lot on sunday morning is likely the easiest if you don't need a lift. If you do need a lift, just pay the shop and bring your own oil.

I live in the city, and among my friends and most of my neighbors I'm one of the few with a useable garage and driveway. I don't mind at all if folks use my space in exchange for a trip to the burger joint or pizza. Works for me! So, don't feel you're imposing on folks.

I keep a big piece of "oil changing cardboard" around for just this purpose, but I'd recommend bringing your own. "Leave no trace and buy them pizza!". Do that and you'll always have a place to change your oil.

Originally Posted By: JOD
I live in the city, and among my friends and most of my neighbors I'm one of the few with a useable garage and driveway. I don't mind at all if folks use my space in exchange for a trip to the burger joint or pizza. Works for me! So, don't feel you're imposing on folks.

I keep a big piece of "oil changing cardboard" around for just this purpose, but I'd recommend bringing your own. "Leave no trace and buy them pizza!". Do that and you'll always have a place to change your oil.

Thanks, I'll think about it and ask someone I think would mind me changing my oil in their driveway the least... Or someone who would like pizza the most!

Originally Posted By: JOD

I don't mind my friends using my garage and tools to change oil or minor under the hood jobs, as long as they cleaned up the mess after they'd done and before they leave.

I don't really like to clean up after someone finished their work. Also, I try to keep my tools clean I usually clean up any tool I use before put it away.

Just be considerate when using someone properties to do your maintenance work then you should be welcome back.

Hey, I like very much that idea of going rogue; in fact I may be doing it next time just for the thrill of it, already in my mind I am compiling the list of possible places.

This could be the beginning of a new thread "What is the strangest place or situation in which you changed your oil?"

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Go rogue and change your oil in the condo parking lot.
I did that for 5 years when I was renting an apartment.
Just be very careful about spillage.

^^This. When I lived in an apartment I just did my oil changes around 10pm or so. Never any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back