Premature sidewall cracking, now have to get tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02s have developed cracks on the sidewalls. The cracks even go up between the treads from what I can see but I can't see how far. No cracks on the road surface parts of the treads, but the sides of the treads do have some cracking, too. These tires were made in 42-2011. They only have about 30k miles on them. I was hoping to get to 50k before replacement since there was still lots of tread left, but oh well.

I'm considering 3 tires to buy. I'd like any input, feedback, thoughts and even purchasing suggestions if you want. The choices are as follows in no particular order:
- Yokohama Avid Ascend
- Continental PureContact with Ecoplus
- Bridgestone Ecopia EP422

I have researched these until my brain hurts. I'm hoping Bridgestone will give me some warranty coverage. The warranty pamphlet says it is free replacement within 3 years (http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/BFS1211.pdf). Anyway, now I'm ready to hear what the tire experts on here have to say. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
I just bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXV4's for my Mazda3. So far, they outperform the EL-400's in every possible way. I hated those Bridgestones. If these are the tires on your Mazda this is a blessing in disguise, though, I don't know too many people who enjoy buying tires.

Continental ProContact with Ecoplus

I have two of these and two about a year older that lack the Eco plus.

Ironically the newer ones were about $10 less each.

They seem fine, very quiet. I was looking at them yesterday and I don't see any odd wear, etc. I'm trying to decide if and how to rotate. I put the newer ones on the back and now the fronts have about 18K on them, but I'm supposed to have the newer tires on the back so what am I supposed to do?

Originally Posted By: datech

They seem fine, very quiet. I was looking at them yesterday and I don't see any odd wear, etc. I'm trying to decide if and how to rotate. I put the newer ones on the back and now the fronts have about 18K on them, but I'm supposed to have the newer tires on the back so what am I supposed to do?

I didn't realize they had multiple tires with ecoplus technology. I think I was looking at the purecontact with ecoplus and not procontact.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
So my OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02s have developed cracks on the sidewalls. The cracks even go up between the treads from what I can see but I can't see how far. No cracks on the road surface parts of the treads, but the sides of the treads do have some cracking, too.

Pics please!

Originally Posted By: datech

I didn't realize they had multiple tires with ecoplus technology. I think I was looking at the purecontact with ecoplus and not procontact.

I haven't checked their current line... maybe they dropped them? Mine are ProContact with Eco plus. they were $90 each from Walmart for 195/60 x 15.

I have to say I find the nomenclature Continental uses kind of confusing. I think the first pair I bought the summer before were just "contact'.

I'd almost have to go out in the garage and look at them to get it all straight, I guess.

Anyway I like them. A guy at a dealer told me Continental makes the quietest tires and the Pro Contacts are the quietest (probably superceded by the Pure Contact)

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
So my OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02s have developed cracks on the sidewalls. The cracks even go up between the treads from what I can see but I can't see how far. No cracks on the road surface parts of the treads, but the sides of the treads do have some cracking, too.

Pics please!

I will do my best. I don't have a high quality camera and the cracks are tiny but I'll see what I can do tonight.

My OEM tires are 89H. What would going to a 91H, 91V or 91T do? How does that affect things?

Tiny cracks aren't any big deal but of course if you hate the tires, chuck 'em.

Your old tires may wind up on someone else's car in town.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Tiny cracks aren't any big deal but of course if you hate the tires, chuck 'em.

Your old tires may wind up on someone else's car in town.
wink.gif

Corrected:
Your old tires will wind up on someone else's car in town

My OEM tires are 89H. What would going to a 91H, 91V or 91T do? How does that affect things?

Going to a 91 load index should not matter. It does seem strange that 205/55/16 and 195/65/15 SL tires come in 89 or 91 load index, but never in 90.

Speed rating is another story. First, you might have trouble finding a shop that will install T-rated tires on a vehicle with an OE spec of H. The Mazda 3 features relatively sporty, crisp handling and firm suspension for its price point, I hear. If so, you might want to stick to H or V, especially if you are a spirited driver.

Your OE tires get horrendous reviews and ratings at TR and come with no treadwear warranty. Looks like you will be lucky to be rid of them.

Assuming this is for the Mazda, check into having a warranty replacement, unless you really don't want that model tire anymore.

Bridgestone ssaid they'd prorate based on tread measurement. There is a fair amount of tread left but I'd have to use that money at a firestone shop and their prices are so high that I can do better buying elsewhere w/out the prorated discount.

I'd check out DT or DTD with free shipping, rebates etc. About a year ago I scored a great deal on some 205-55-16 H rated Hankook Ventus V2's for $142 after a $100 rebate and price matching DT. After install the total was $206.

As you've found out, you should still be under warranty on the tires, but you're past the free replacement period and into the prorated period. That's assuming you bought the vehicle new. If you didn't, than I think you're out of luck.

I have researched these until my brain hurts. I'm hoping Bridgestone will give me some warranty coverage. The warranty pamphlet says it is free replacement within 3 years (http://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/warranty/BFS1211.pdf).

You're looking at the wrong warranty document. That's the replacement tire warranty, meaning aftermarket tires you buy, not the ones that came new on the vehicle.

The Bridgestone original equipment warranty book can be found at this link:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/customer-care/tire-warranties/full-warranty

Here's what it says about how long the tires are covered:
Quote:
Before wearing down to 2/32 inch (1.6 mm) remaining original
tread depth (i.e. worn down to the top of the built-in indicators in
the tread grooves) and within 6 years from the date of purchase
(proof of purchase date required; without proof of purchase date,
then within 6 years from the date of tire manufacture), for any reason other than those excluded in the section entitled “What This
Limited Warranty Does Not Cover,” any eligible tire that becomes
unusable for any reason within the manufacturer’s control will be
replaced with an equivalent new tire on the basis set forth in this
Limited Warranty.

Here's what it says about replacement under the warranty:
Quote:
Radial passenger and light truck tires adjusted under this Limited
Warranty will be replaced free of charge during the first 25% of
tread wear or within 12 months from the date of purchase (proof
of purchase date required; without proof of purchase date, then
within 12 months from the date of tire manufacture), whichever
occurs first. During the free replacement period, mounting and
balancing are included free of charge.

To determine the replacement price after the free tire replacement period,
the percent of used tread wear is multiplied by the
current selling price for the replacement tire(s). The appropriate
taxes, mounting, balancing, disposal fee, and other service
charges may be added to the adjustment replacement price.

Bridgestone said they'd do a prorated warranty replacement? I'm kinda surprised, because it sounds like it's normal cosmetic cracking that happens with age.

Originally Posted By: sxg6
Bridgestone said they'd do a prorated warranty replacement? I'm kinda surprised, because it sounds like it's normal cosmetic cracking that happens with age.

I have never had cracking on a tire, let a lone a 2.5 year old tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back