How Do You "Store" Oil Properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read several threads about using stored oil that was bought several years ago, even oil that is decades old that are being used by people in this forum. In most cases people seem to say it's good to use "if stored properly". What does this mean?

I store my oil out in my garage on the shelf. Where I live it rarely gets below freezing and if it does it's only for 2 or 3 weeks a year. In the summer it can get up to 100F in there, but onl if I leave the door open, which I don't often do.

Thoughts?

I do pretty much the same thing. I have used my oil stash that's been sitting for as long as 4-5 years. But, mostly I use my oils within a year!

The optimal temp to store oil is probably room temp. My wife would kick my butt if I brought all my oil in the house. But, most folks that store oil usually keep it in their garage!

I think I once read that the optimal temp. for oil storage was approx. 68*F.
I have used oil that was 17 years old and had an excellent UOA so I don't put much creedence in the idea that oil goes bad.
I think that storing oil at a faily constant, moderate temp. is better than storing it where fluctuations occur (just my opinion).

I store it in the basement, from what I understand less swings in temperature is supposed to be better. I can't prove it one way or the other but it makes sense to me.

Stable temperature, not exposed to sunlight (no greenhouse effect inside the bottle).

This is a very relevant question given the stockpilers / hoarders on this board.

I believe that keeping it in a sealed airtight container in a garage is perfectly fine. I try to use my opened oil first and leave my sealed containers for later down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back