Changing From Synthetic Back To Dino And Back Agai

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that it is regular practice for people here to change brands of synthetic and even dino oils quite regularily. Many always say to buy whatever is on sale. Other stick with a specific brand for years, or even a lifetime.

Is there any issue with changing brands of oil and even changing to synthetic, then back to dino, and maybe back to synthetic? Some people seem to frown on this and claim it's not good to do, but offer little information on "why" or what problems this practice may have.

Would like to hear from all the experts here on this....

No problem! Lots of members here do it all the time
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Verminator
Some people seem to frown on this and claim it's not good to do, but offer little information on "why" or what problems this practice may have.

Because they can't. There is no reason why you can't switch.

Never lost an engine over using different brands of oil,,its one of those old men tales made up in some bar a million miles ago by some big know it alls........but thank goodness none of those type of folks are in here,,,what a break for us.....lol

I have often used synthetic in the winter and gone back to dino for the warmer months....not for any scientific reason but because I needed to shrink my stash. I've never had a problem.

I have, on occasion, seen some slight usage when changing brands after running several OCI's of one brand.

I'm a reformed brand-type loyalist. For years, nothing but VWB, then nothing but M1. Now I intentionally switch brands - usually as price breaks become available.

I'm down to only one car that has a dino option, but I switch between dino and synthetic on it with excellent results. Over 200K and it burns not a drop plus runs so smooth you can't tell it's running at stoplights.

Anecdotal conclusion: yes, it's fine to switch.

Fore more years than I can remember and many miles on our vehicles I've simply used whatever was on sale, close-out, etc. The only caveat was that the oil met the mfg specs and of course BITOG is great for getting info on lesser-known brands. I use dino, semi-synth, synth or sometimes a blend depending on what I've got left.
Never an oil-related issue, sludge, zip zero.
No way do I see any need for brand loyalty.

I am an advocate for synthetics. However, anyone running any " SN" rated PCMO for all practical purposes is using a semi-synthetic.Conventional oil will continue to look more and more like a full synthetic going forward.

No problems at all in switching back and forth, mixing grades, mixing some dino and some synthetics in the same run, etc. Just make sure they are good oils from reputable manufacturer. Check out petroleum quality institute of America for oil analysis. Many are hard to tell one from the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back