MaxLife in the Oil-Burning Lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've posted about my brothers 1996 Lexus ES300 he bought 5-6 weeks ago. It has the 3.0 V6. Turns out it smokes blue smoke on startup for 10-15 seconds most of the time, but if warmed up it doesn't smoke. Changed the spark plugs and PCV valve. Put in Mobil 1 0w30 (he insisted). The car has now been driven almost 900 miles and it's burned about a quart. It runs as smooth as glass, fantastic running engine. I topped off with half a quart of Chevron Supreme I had laying around and half a quart of PU. Both 5w30. I have tons of NextGen MaxLife 10w40 in my stash. Is this ok to use in it? Would this help with consumption? Maybe some Lucas?

Thanks guys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I have tons of NextGen MaxLife 10w40 in my stash. Is this ok to use in it?

Does the oil still slosh around freely when you move the bottle ? If so, it should be alright.

1 quart every 900 miles is excessive. Have you pulled the valve covers to see if this is a sludge engine? If not you likely have bad valve seals. There is no special or best oil for bad valve seals.

If you want to stay on the cheap and just keep adding oil, somewhere down the road the 02 sensors and cat converter are going to suffer with the oil burning..so that is going to be an expense.

1)pull front valve cover and rule out sludge engine. If you find a sludge engine..sell it.
2)if not a sludge engine, keep a log on the oil burning. If the trend is 4 quarts out the pipe every oil change then this is probably not going to be a long term keeper car..sell it.

These cars have very little resale value ($2000)..so it wouldnt be wise to go too deep into the engine or keep replacing cats and 02 sensors.

I have a 98 ES300 and got lucky with a non sludge engine. Hope yours is the same.

The MaxLife 10W-40 is perfect for this car in Arizona. Use your stash and the oil burning will slow down significantly.

Use the 10w40 from your stash. I bet it continues to burn oil. Good be rings, valve seals, or just a tired engine. As long as everything else works ok for him, the oil is cheap. Just keep level checked and top off periodically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back