SuperTech Full Synthetic Vs. Pennzoil Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is better and why ?
35.gif

The horrendously simple answer: Pennzoil Ultra meets majority of all major auto manufacturer specifications. SuperTech Full Syn is only API certified, and does not carry any manufacturer specs, and would be considered an oil that breaks warranty.

^ It isn't that Supertech is bad. It is that vehicle warranties call for usage of oils that meet the manufacturer specifications.

Straight from the owner's manual for my 2007 Ford Focus: "To protect your engine’s warranty use Motorcraft SAE 5W-20 or an equivalent SAE 5W-20 oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C930-A."

Supertech Full Synthetic 5w20 does not meet Ford WSS30 (or the updated Ford WSS45), and would not be deemed appropriate protection by Ford.

I'm also intrigued what brings about this questioning. You have been member on these forums for 7 years with 7000+ posts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Trollin much?

There's a difference between trolling and asking an absurd question that nobody else has the guts to ask.

Nobody compares SuperTech full synthetic to the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus sweet little darling.

Why ?

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I'm also intrigued what brings about this questioning.

I'm asking the question because nobody else has. I didn't know SuperTech full synthetic doesn't meet manufacturer's specifications until I started this thread. You answered the question and I appreciate it. Thank you.

Nobody has? Not really. Take a silly example, AEHaas running various 0w-20 oils in >>$100k vehicles. Certainly against spec, warranty voiding, etc.

So there are two things in play here, viscosity and approvals. An oil suitable for ACEA A1 may be far different product than one made for ACEA A3. Obviously the chemistry doesn't actually know what specs it holds, but products meeting those two specs will be different. It costs money to produce a less than ubiquitous product and then get the full compliment of approvals...

if anyone wants to pay for the VOA's I have a Pint each of the old PP 5w30 (bought about a year ago) and Meijer Full Syn 5w20 (also made by Warren, like Supertech )in sealed Mason Jars. it's not apples to apples with the Difference in "grades", but..
never mind, I forgot you were talking Ultra, and I only have PP

Last edited:
ST is obviously better. Its cheaper. Unless Ultra can be scored on the cheap, then I change my mind.

ST Syn my if fact meet the other mfg's spec's if it were tested for them. But, it hasn't been so, therefore it is not recomended for use in those engines that require a specific oil that has deffinately met this criteria.

Those specific oils meeting mfg's specification may have proprietory additives not seen in a VOA. ST Syn may need a pinch of this and/or a dash of that to meet the requirements.

Unfortunately, we just don't know!
smirk.gif

So, that's what makes PU a better/safer choice compared to ST Syn.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tstep
ST is obviously better. Its cheaper. Unless Ultra can be scored on the cheap, then I change my mind.

Harbor Freight is obviously better than Snap-On because its cheaper.
Might as well start the natives dancing early in the morning.
lol.gif

I for one don't hold much credence to the 'recommended' vs 'non recommended' oem oils. Ill bet you that because Warren Dist who makes ST, did not go the extra mile and *cost* to 'be approved' by the OEM so that they can brag and try to convince the public their oil is better, that is in inferior to an oil with those bragging rights.. I truly believe that both oils are very good as I have used both and they work fine in our cars. That said, I buy way more ST then Ultra.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I don't think meeting a certain spec is all about bragging rights or influencing the public.The automobile mfgs require a certain type of oil and the oil companies blend to spec.

Last edited:
Delving more into the wording on the back of the bottle, oils that have been tested for specifications will be said to "meet" the following specifications.

However, oils that haven't been tested but are believed to meet the specs can be said to be "suitable" for certain specifications. That is, the oil company believes the oil meets the specifications, but has not been formally tested.

For example, here is the wording from Mobil on their M1 0w20:

Quote:

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy synthetic oil meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA A1/B1
API SN, SM, SL, SJ
ILSAC GF-5
Ford WSS-M2C945-A

Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy is of the following quality level:
Ford WSS-M2C930-A
General Motors GM 6094M
API CF

However, Super Tech doesn't have any such wording to it, and is only said to meet API SN. Still a definite quality oil (I run it in the GF's Sebring), but technically speaking difficult to prove that Supertech Syn is at the same quality level as Ultra.

Originally Posted By: wemay
I don't think meeting a certain spec is all about bragging rights or influencing the public.The automobile mfgs require a certain type of oil and the oil companies blend to spec.

It influenced people here didn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back