How bad does this tree look

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it wasn't close to a structure or power lines I'd try to nurse it back to health. However, if it's close enough to damage something if it splits and falls, then it wouldn't be a question-it would be removed.

doitmyself has good advice. Listen to him.

The one other thing you can do is sound the tree. Take a rubber headed mallet and whack the trunk. Does it sound hollow? If yes, take it down. If not, you've likely got time.

The internet is not a place to diagnose a problem like this. Call an arborist and ask them their opinion.

Clark

From what I can make out in the second set of pictures, the wound looks old and has been trying to heal itself. However, the wood appears to show signs of rot. Aside from hammering on it with a rubber mallet, take a pocket knife and check the exposed wood. If it's rotten, the trees days are numbered, (even if the bark heals over the wound).

Since the wound is located so close to the ground, any kind of dressing will only compound the problem of trapped moisture. The wood will continue to rot and eventually the tree will come down.

If it were me, I would remove the tree for a number of reason, especially when you consider the potential dangers of the tree falling on your house or falling across the road and maybe hitting someone or someone's automobile.

You've got time, it's not something that is going to happen tomorrow, but it's not something you want to put off too far into the future as the tree will only get bigger and therefore harder to take down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back