PP 0w20 vs. PP 5w20...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking at the PDS for both PP 0w20 and PP 5w20, this is the new Pure Plus technology flavor...and it looks like the 5w20 is thinner, even at -30C...is this right? Is it actually thinner both at 40C and at -30C? Here are the links...
0w20
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_26680_key_140007733041_201402051759.pdf

5w20
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_Local_TDS_United_States_Pennzoil_Platinum_5W-20_Full_Synthetic_Motor_Oil_(SN_GF-5)_(en-US)_TDS.pdf

Just copy paste into your browsers search bar if the links dont work.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
There are some typos in that 0w-20 TDS. For 0w oils, the CCS Viscosity is measured at -35C, and MRV Viscosity at -40C.

Ok, so what exactly does this mean?

It means that you can't directly compare the two because the test on each was performed at different temperatures.

However, since the 0w-20 has higher VI, I'd expect it to be thinner than 5w-20 at -30C and below.

This is of course completely irrelevant for someone living in FL.
smile.gif

It means that you can't directly compare the two because the test on each was performed at different temperatures.

However, since the 0w-20 has higher VI, I'd expect it to be thinner than 5w-20 at -30C and below.

smile.gif

Your probably right, but this is BITOG. Splitting hairs is what we do, haha.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

smile.gif

Your probably right, but this is BITOG. Splitting hairs is what we do, haha.

LMAO so TRUE, I have a PhD is splitting hair.

After looking at PUP it states 25% cleaner compared to 40% on the old Ultra? What you guys think? Lol

Last edited:
[/quote]
Your probably right, but this is BITOG. Splitting hairs is what we do, haha. [/quote]

LMAO so TRUE, I have a PhD is splitting hair.

After looking at PUP it states 25% cleaner compared to 40% on the old Ultra? What you guys think? Lol [/quote]

The old ads used to say 40% cleaner than our conventional motor oil. Now the bottle says 25% cleaner than other synthetic oils
"

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Wow why the pp 0w20 is not dexos spec ???

SOPUS already has a bunch of Dexos1 oils. How many do they need?

Something isn't right. Pour point of the 5w20 is -51c vs only -48c for the 0w20. I don't see any benefit to using the 0w20 over 5w20. NOACK is worse, 40C vis is worse, pour point is worse, no dexos either.

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Something isn't right. Pour point of the 5w20 is -51c vs only -48c for the 0w20. I don't see any benefit to using the 0w20 over 5w20. NOACK is worse, 40C vis is worse, pour point is worse, no dexos either.

Just one more SOPUS mystery: add it on to the differences between the TDS and PQIA, the mysterious inverted Noack readings (cheaper product = lower Noack). Makes one wonder if the products are odd or they just don't pay attention to their published TDS. Again, it's hard to figure out what's in the SOPUS bottle on the shelf these days...

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Wow why the pp 0w20 is not dexos spec ???

SOPUS already has a bunch of Dexos1 oils. How many do they need?

Yes but if Mobil 1 has 0w20 dexos approved. Why not pennzoil ?? Does that mean Mobil 1 is better ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back