Walmart Canada - Bye Bye Purolator, Hello FRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it's official. Walmart Canada has dumped Purolator and replaced them with FRAM.

As for prices, they are all over the map for the OCOD.

For example, PH9688 is $4.98, PH3600 is $5.98, while the popular PH7317 is $6.48. Cartridge elements range from $6.98 for the CH10358 to $19.48 for CH8481
shocked.gif

The good news is, Tough Guard is back! The bad news, get ready to pay. Prices range from $9.98 for the TG7317 to $10.98 for all other spin-on TGs.

FU is also available for the first time ever at Walmart. Prices are the same as Canadian Tire: $13+

If you own a Toyota/Lexus with the 2GR-FE engine, you are out of luck. Walmart does NOT carry any 9972. What a joke in my opinion. How can they not carry it for this engine?

So the filters have changed and so have the prices.

Then...
Puro Classics were $4.56+
Bosch was $6 - $7
Puro Syn was $11

Now...
OCOD $5 - $7
Extra Guard cartridge elements $7 - $20
TG $10+
FU $13+

As for the changes, it's two steps back in my opinion. I left the oil filter aisle shaking my head.

FRAM spends a lot more on advertising than Purolator. There are still lots of people who only trust Fram orange cans and nothing else. Infact I can't remember ever seeing a Purolater ad.

I can see why Walmart did this because Purolators just weren't selling as well and the margins on Frams are higher too.

I think I know what's happening. Bosch & Mann+Hummel bought Purolator in 2006. In 2013, Bosch sold their shares to Mann+Hummel.

Mann+Hummel doesn't like the low margins they're getting from selling to Walmart so they're pulling out. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll be shutting down some American plants too.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
If you own a Toyota/Lexus with the 2GR-FE engine, you are out of luck. Walmart does NOT carry any 9972. What a joke in my opinion. How can they not carry it for this engine?

In fairness, they're not an auto shop. Our NAPA never has filters for my G in stock, not that I want to pay their prices anyhow.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
As for the changes, it's two steps back in my opinion. I left the oil filter aisle shaking my head.

There had better be some competition going on with the Fram Ultra. When Walmart got rid of Fram at the outset, the prices at Partsource and CT went up. If you want Fram in Regina, Den-Paul is a good source without having to walk into a Walmart.

I'm not sure why Walmart Canada is afraid of selling more than one variety of filter these days. I used to insist on going to Walmart for filters for my LTD twenty years ago, when they had AC filters for half of a Motorcraft at the dealer. Then, they decided Fram only. Did the ACs and the Frams have a riot or something?

Oh well. Free Hastings filters trump Bosch, Fram, and Wix even at corporate discount.
wink.gif

Well... that certainly sucks! Guess that will be one less item that I need to purchase from Wallyworld now. Too bad as I thought the Puro & Bosch filters were leaps and bounds above the orange cans. Back to Crummy Tire for their overpriced filters now, I guess. Good information to know once again, Thanks guys...
Cheers,
HicksNSticks

Yeah Fram is back at Canadian Wal-Marts and seemingly at a higher price than before they left last year.

Price two months ago for Purolator Classic oil filter for Toyota Echo L14476 $4.88

Now Fram Extra Guard PH4967 $7.49 NO THANKS !!!!!!!!!!

I can walk into any auto parts store (example Napa) and get a better deal on oil filters than Canadian Wal-Marts current Fram lineup.

The Fram selection is also pretty stripped down. No PH3950s or equivalent for my car, or air filters I need.

How do they expect to sell filters at the current high prices??? Or do they want people to give up buying filters and just go to their shop for an oil change?

Walked into the newly renovated Wal-mart at Argyle in London and everything is orange again. Cannot believe it. But, on a good note, I picked up a case of clear-out Purolator-made oil filters for my Rav4 for $1.00 each!

I don't know what happened to the Purolator and Bosch stock here, but it disappeared in a hurry. In any event, Partsource is clearly paying attention, since they knocked 15% off of Fram Ultras for this month.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
Here in Ottawa - fram is back - arg!!!!!!!

I don't think it was even a year - very strange.

Benson's sells Wix... Thank god!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back