Anyone have a spare LGA1366 CPU or mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My eVGA X58 FTW motherboard suddenly refuses to POST.

I've tried everything: resetting the BIOS, disconnecting everything except the power and CPU, reseating the motherboard, reseating the CPU, reseating all cables. The only remaining steps are to try another motherboard or CPU.

Does anyone have a spare LGA1366 CPU or motherboard I could borrow? I'll gladly pay the shipping in both directions.

For reference, LGA1366 = socket B, which is X58 chips. Intel Core i7-9xx CPUs.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
I'd ring the eVGA tomorrow
See if they'd give a hand
You'd be surprised sometimes

It's out of warranty. There's nothing else to do other than swap mobos or CPUs, according to their support documents.

I suspect it's the motherboard. I plugged in my iPhone and it just froze, then refused to power back up. Sadly the LGA1366 is out of production so my only option would maybe be a new Supermicro board on Amazon for about $160. NewEgg, TigerDirect, and Frys/Outpost don't stock that socket anymore.

EBay for a 1366 board just be very picky about your seller choice. It's almost always the motherboard.

I've only encountered one dead cpu in my time repairing computers and it was a LGA 775 Pentium D on a Dell xp 600. No idea how that happened the heat sinks on xps are epic and over kill with tons of fan. No voltage options either so it wasn't abused.

If any of the capacitors look like they're puking you could replace them if you can run a soldering iron with a new capacitor and have it fixed for about $5.

Originally Posted By: dave180
Replace the battery, usually a CR2032 3v Lithium. Often overlooked, but usually the culprit in a failure to post.

What?

Not in my experience. Yeah it'll wipe the BIOS settings every time it is turned off/on but it will still come on.

Of course moving the CMOS clear jumper to the clear position will stop it from posting however.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
It's possible that the power supply took a poop, check em?

PSU is only about 6 months old and is a high-end Corsair. It's fine.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Have you tried to boot with another RAM stick, all failures to POST that I had were because of defective RAM,

As I said, it won't do anything other than spin up the CPU fan (merely because it gets power). It won't even beep if I boot it with no RAM installed.

Originally Posted By: anonobomber
If any of the capacitors look like they're puking you could replace them if you can run a soldering iron with a new capacitor and have it fixed for about $5.

Inspected the caps, they're all fine.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
EBay for a 1366 board just be very picky about your seller choice. It's almost always the motherboard.

Not many choices out there. There are a handful that are still good but they're higher-end boards and people want $300+. The rest are broken.

For $300, I could get a really nice new Ivy Bridge motherboard. I could sell my i7-950 and use that cash plus a bit extra to buy a i4770. My RAM, SSD, etc would just carry over.

Called eVGA. He agreed that the motherboard is probably dead (agreed that CPUs don't really fail) and said there's nothing else to test.

Welp, time to upgrade. Haswell, here I come!

Mmmmm. Just because it's a high end corsair PSU doesn't mean it couldn't have died. I'd test it with another system first, just to be 100% sure.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Mmmmm. Just because it's a high end corsair PSU doesn't mean it couldn't have died. I'd test it with another system first, just to be 100% sure.

eVGA said if the PSU was faulty, it would present as different symptoms.

I agree that the PSU could've failed, but I checked the pins with my multimeter and all came back fine.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: Nick R

eVGA said if the PSU was faulty, it would present as different symptoms.

I agree that the PSU could've failed, but I checked the pins with my multimeter and all came back fine.

Originally Posted By: dparm

PSU is only about 6 months old and is a high-end Corsair. It's fine.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've had high-end expensive power supplies (that were not malfunctioning) fail to allow certain boards to POST. Power up, but no POST. I'd do what Nick suggested just to be sure.

New mobo, CPU, and RAM installed. It booted up, so not a bad PSU.

Went to the local MicroCenter and grabbed all this for about $550 after tax, which actually beat NewEgg's pricing by a bit (MC always beats the competition on CPUs):

ASUS Z87-A
Core i7-4770
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz 8GB (2x4GB)

I have to say these new UEFI BIOSes are awesome. Miles ahead of the old clunky DOS-based stuff. I also had to get the expensive/enthusiast RAM because Asus doesn't "qualify" the cheaper stuff as working above certain speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back