Nulon Engine Oils with Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
IS Nulon a good choice of oil, compared to the better known international brands (say Castrol, Mobil, Shell etc)?

Originally Posted By: Spetz
IS Nulon a good choice of oil, compared to the better known international brands (say Castrol, Mobil, Shell etc)?

Its been around for some time s\as you may know.

I was considering using the 5w-40 full synthetic however my mechanic reckons to use the Penrite.

Awesome Aussie video on the website! .. They had me at "Munich, Germany" hee-hee, reputation. ... Man they already sound like 540rat and his blog. ... It all goes to how a formulator at an oil company chooses what base stocks and additives to use: They need a machine that will quickly test out an experimental oil formula before doing the expensive SN/GF5/dexos1/4718m/HTO-06/ACEA tests.

Because "we tested competitor A's oil, and it didn't wear out the camshaft, while our new formula proved beyond any doubt that it didn't wear out the camshaft."

Doesn't sell a lot of oil.

A marginally representative test that provides real, visible scars, and welding sells oil...I know, I've bought lubes and additives off one armed bandit salesmen in the past (long distant past), but I did.

(Once had Wynns turn up with a timken, and ask for our best grease, to show how good their offering was...it was MDF press grease that we brought out, synthetic bases, packed with moly, graphite, and teflon - they cried foul, as they meant "best normal" grease")

So best avoided or not?

I have tried Penrite before and somehow I just didn't like it. I cannot even say why.

I wouldn't avoid it (or any of the other "one armed bandit" oils)...

Just given where they came from (teflon additives) to now, I think there a better/priced alternatives.

I used to be down on Penrite with their "plus one" and mineral philosphy, but they've changed markedly, with OEM approvals on some of their range.

I'm usually Mobil, if it's on sale, Castrol Magnatec SP if I can get it, or Penrite otherwise. (Shell is in the stato, as it was $15/5L, and I wanted to get the varnish out if I could)

I’m not a fan of oil blenders that start off as oil additive companies. They also still spruk the benefits of PTFE which worries me. But the worst is their specs and approvals. They quote old nonsense specs rather than what would be most relevant e.g. Ow40 A3/B3 04, CF and then state it's good for diesels with DPF's. Also their Multivehicle ATF has every ATF spec under the sun that is impossible to meet with one fluid. It does not inspire confidence.

If you don't want to go with one of the majors, I would rather Penrite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back