Sodium and Moly+Boron question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
Notice I didnt say versus.

The question is, why arent there any oils that use both? It seems, or is, that they either choose one or the other as the prime additive exclusively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Notice I didnt say versus.

The question is, why arent there any oils that use both? It seems, or is, that they either choose one or the other as the prime additive exclusively.

Chevron delo 400 uses it. uses about 100ppm of moly and about 500ppm of boron. All the other diesel oils hardly have much of either one.

There are several PCMO's that have sodium, boron, and moly in their additive packages.

Valvoline, GTX, and Supertech come to mind.

Also Boron and moly are friction modifiers.
Sodium is a detergent/dispersant.

Two varying functions for the three additives you have mentioned.

Boron is used in more than one class of additives, so without knowing the inside scoop, we can't know what's it's used for in a particular oil. Sometimes it's part of the detergent package, used to decrease yellow metal corrosion. Pennzoil staff told us that the original PU's boron was used for this purpose. Other uses are borate esters which "possess friction-reducing, antiwear, and anti-oxidant characteristics" (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ls.3010140404/abstract).

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
red line has a nice amt of boron in it now 150ppm along with 600ppm of moly

Hi boxcartommie22, Moly and Boron together is not a surprise, i was looking more towards why those two are never (to my knowledge) combined with Sodium.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back