I Don't Change My Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. Just thought I'd inflame the forum. I don't change my oil anymore, not for more than 3 years anyways. I just change the filter and add make-up oil. I leak/burn about one quart per 4K miles, and I change the filter in about 3K, or when I think it's dirty. Currently, I have 47K on this batch using my system of scheduled maintenance. I'm waiting for 50K to have it tested at Blackstone. My goal is to continue to 100K and have it tested again. If it tests okay at that time, I probably won't have it tested anymore, and I will feel vindicated. Would anyone care to lambaste and belittle me?

Tis true. My oil stays a nice honey brown color, never really looks dirty. I use cheesy Purolator filters from Wal Mart, and whatever oil is on sale. I have a '99 Hyundai Elantra with 180K and it runs perfectly.

Looking forward to your results.

I'm not going to change the oil in my old brown van anymore, either. I just add a quart before every drive. The only thing I'll do is change the filter.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Looking forward to your results.

I'm not going to change the oil in my old brown van anymore, either. I just add a quart before every drive. The only thing I'll do is change the filter.

You don't need to change YOUR oil, it's an automatic... oil changes itself.

One of my best friends had an old Nova that burned/used a half to a whole quart of oil every 100 miles or so. If you stood by the exhaust when he'd start it,it'd spray oil all over you haha! He just always kept it topped off with Super Tech.

Sorry, I have a schedule. Why would I care about TBNs? The oil is either good or not. I'd rather have clean oil with low TBNs.

Without TBN and TAN it not interesting. One quart of top off oil in 4k isn't necessarily enough to keep the TBN up or the TAN down. Without knowing those data points you may have no explanation for high wear which are likely.

I also feel that your changing your oil filter too often. Just get a good filter and leave it on for a solid run like an Fram Ultra and keep it for 15,000 miles.

Are you adding the partial quart from the new filter when you change that or is that part of your 1 quart in 4k you add? When you remove the old filter your losing at least 1/4 quart there.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Without TBN and TAN it not interesting. One quart of top off oil in 4k isn't necessarily enough to keep the TBN up or the TAN down. Without knowing those data points you may have no explanation for high wear which are likely.

I also feel that your changing your oil filter too often. Just get a good filter and leave it on for a solid run like an Fram Ultra and keep it for 15,000 miles.

Are you adding the partial quart from the new filter when you change that or is that part of your 1 quart in 4k you add? When you remove the old filter your losing at least 1/4 quart there.

My theory is the oil I have is not inferior in any way. I don't believe I have high wear.

Filtration is the key behind my system. That's what keeps the oil clean, which is what I'm trying to prove. Any filter will lose its ability to trap smaller particles as it gets older. A filter with 100 miles is better than a filter with 1k, a filter with 1k filters better than a filter with 3k, and so on.

I add oil as needed, never getting half way down the marks. I lose 1/2 quart when I change filters. Therefore, I get at least 1 1/2 quarts per 4k miles of fresh oil.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
What oil are you running op?
I started with Super Tech 5w-30 Full Synthetic. For the last year I've had a jug of Super Tech Dino High Mileage.

Originally Posted By: jsinton

My theory is the oil I have is not inferior in any way. I don't believe I have high wear.

Filtration is the key behind my system. That's what keeps the oil clean, which is what I'm trying to prove. Any filter will lose its ability to trap smaller particles as it gets older. A filter with 100 miles is better than a filter with 1k, a filter with 1k filters better than a filter with 3k, and so on.

I add oil as needed, never getting half way down the marks. I lose 1/2 quart when I change filters. Therefore, I get at least 1 1/2 quarts per 4k miles of fresh oil.

Doesn't the oil filter become more efficient as it traps dirt. The dirt acts to reduce the size of the passages?

It'll be interesting to see your results.
You'll either confound the short drain guys or raise the hair of the long drain ones straight up.
Either way, I suspect that your oil will look better in a UOA than many might think.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Originally Posted By: jsinton

Doesn't the oil filter become more efficient as it traps dirt. The dirt acts to reduce the size of the passages?

I don't think so. My theory is the filter's smaller passages get filled up first, thus the filter loses that ability as time goes on.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
It'll be interesting to see your results.
You'll either confound the short drain guys or raise the hair of the long drain ones straight up.
Either way, I suspect that your oil will look better in a UOA than many might think.

I think you're right. The oil LOOKS very clean, like oil with 1k on it from the before-time.

I have experimented with this before, I got it up to 27k and had it tested. The oil was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back