2014 Camry Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I didn't trade in my Focus. No, I still don't plan to.

Great! with that out of the way, let's get on with it.

So the job I have right now involves a lot of travelling around NYS installing new computer equipment for the DoH, OMH, NYSDOT, etc etc. The company I work for provides several different company vehicles depending on the needs of the job, anywhere from the Camry, to Transit Connects, to 26' box trucks.

Last week, I was in Orangeburg NY, down near the city, and was given one of the company Camrys for the week. It was a 2014 SE, with the 4 cylinder. Well equipped, bluetooth audio with screen control, cruise, power seats, leather seats, etc. It only had 8,000 miles on it when I got it. I put about 500 miles on it during the course of the week.

I have to say, I was extremely impressed with it overall. The thing that stands out most is just how comfortable and smooth it is. It just glides along, and is extremely quiet to boot. And that is with the OE Bridgestone Turanza EL400s, which are pretty terrible tires overall. I'd be curious to see how it fairs with some good Michelin rubber.

The 2.4L engine makes great power, pretty torquey, accelerates much faster than you might expect. I can't see the V6 being necessary for any but the biggest of speed demons. The 6 speed transmission coupled to it is very well sorted. Smooth, doesn't hunt, well spaced gears.

As for as the interior goes, it's well made, the materials on this particular SE were nice, felt high quality. No squeaks or rattles. Seat comfort was good. Backseat is cavernous as far as leg room goes, and pretty good headroom to boot.

The not so good is about what you'd expect. It's not particularly athletic in the corners. My focus destroys it in the fun-to-drive-through-the-twisties test. Grip isn't particularly inspiring (probably due in part to the horrid Turanza EL400s.) Brakes are good, not quite as confident feeling as my Focus, but still powerful and easy to modulate. Steering has little to no feedback, but it is fairly direct, contributing to the stable but not very exciting drive. The steering wheel is beefy, and comfortable to hold at different positions for long drives. Gauges are clear and easy to read at a glance, and fairly attractive.

The styling still doesn't really do much for me, but it is still a big improvement over the last generation of Camry as far as I'm concerned.

Fuel economy was good, I averaged 25mpg during the week, which included a jaunt into Manhattan during rush hour across the GW bridge. Highway I averaged about 32mpg at 78mph in good weather. (sunny, 60s)

All in all, a great family sedan. Not really for those who want excitement in their family 4 door, but it gets decent gas milege, is comfortable, has a big back seat, is fairly powerful, and has a hushed ride.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Also, you no longer work for TWC???

Ha! That was going to be my first question.
smile.gif

Toyota's 2AR-FE engine (the 2.5L 4-banger) is an excellent engine. I loved the one in my 2011 Camry. They are made much better today than they were a few years ago.

Sounds like the same reasons oilBabe bought her 2002 Camry. Not really that much more than a Corolla, and it's a competent, quiet, family sedan.

We still have it with over 250K miles on the car now. Only two repairs, IIRC, an axle and a starter. Everything else has been wear items, tires, brakes, belts, tune up parts and fluid changes.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
No, I didn't trade in my Focus. No, I still don't plan to.

Great! with that out of the way, let's get on with it.

So the job I have right now involves a lot of travelling around NYS installing new computer equipment for the DoH, OMH, NYSDOT, etc etc. The company I work for provides several different company vehicles depending on the needs of the job, anywhere from the Camry, to Transit Connects, to 26' box trucks.

Last week, I was in Orangeburg NY, down near the city, and was given one of the company Camrys for the week. It was a 2014 SE, with the 4 cylinder. Well equipped, bluetooth audio with screen control, cruise, power seats, leather seats, etc. It only had 8,000 miles on it when I got it. I put about 500 miles on it during the course of the week.

I have to say, I was extremely impressed with it overall. The thing that stands out most is just how comfortable and smooth it is. It just glides along, and is extremely quiet to boot. And that is with the OE Bridgestone Turanza EL400s, which are pretty terrible tires overall. I'd be curious to see how it fairs with some good Michelin rubber.

The 2.4L engine makes great power, pretty torquey, accelerates much faster than you might expect. I can't see the V6 being necessary for any but the biggest of speed demons. The 6 speed transmission coupled to it is very well sorted. Smooth, doesn't hunt, well spaced gears.

As for as the interior goes, it's well made, the materials on this particular SE were nice, felt high quality. No squeaks or rattles. Seat comfort was good. Backseat is cavernous as far as leg room goes, and pretty good headroom to boot.

The not so good is about what you'd expect. It's not particularly athletic in the corners. My focus destroys it in the fun-to-drive-through-the-twisties test. Grip isn't particularly inspiring (probably due in part to the horrid Turanza EL400s.) Brakes are good, not quite as confident feeling as my Focus, but still powerful and easy to modulate. Steering has little to no feedback, but it is fairly direct, contributing to the stable but not very exciting drive. The steering wheel is beefy, and comfortable to hold at different positions for long drives. Gauges are clear and easy to read at a glance, and fairly attractive.

The styling still doesn't really do much for me, but it is still a big improvement over the last generation of Camry as far as I'm concerned.

Fuel economy was good, I averaged 25mpg during the week, which included a jaunt into Manhattan during rush hour across the GW bridge. Highway I averaged about 32mpg at 78mph in good weather. (sunny, 60s)

All in all, a great family sedan. Not really for those who want excitement in their family 4 door, but it gets decent gas milege, is comfortable, has a big back seat, is fairly powerful, and has a hushed ride.

Your glowing review is interesting. That car is pretty much universally vilified in the automotive press.

Thanks for the review. My gripe with the Camry is how bland it looks. The market is so competitive right now, they need to step up their game. They claim that's what they're doing as a '15 refresh is planned. Interested to see what they do, currently the Camry would be my last choice in the midsize segment.

I haven't driven a Camry but test drove a '13 Corolla and was disappointed with how "numb" the steering feel was.

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Thanks for the review. My gripe with the Camry is how bland it looks.

if you ask me, in SE trim this is the most sporty looking Camry ever!

That will probably be the next car for my wife to replace a 07 Camry hybrid coming up on 160k mi. The SE looks like a great car for the money. I priced one locally last fall, lists at $24850, and a dealer was selling them in Chicago for like $21850. The interior looks great, although it is not real leather trim. Even has a paddle shifter and 17 aluminum wheels. A lot other cars don't even come close in overall value.

In other words, the Toyota Camry is now the Chevy Impala/Caprice of the 90's.
Not much to look at. Not great to drive. But you never have to think about it. Ever.

What a boring way to spend $20k + of your hard earned money.

BC.

Hopefully they make a few changes to pass the new crash test that it and the corolla got poor ratings on this year.

I always walk past these when I rent, I should grab one sometime just to try it. There just always seems to be something more interesting to pick.

The standard sound system on the plain SE is awful, but I'm not an audiophile.

.... The 6 speed transmission coupled to it is very well sorted. Smooth, doesn't hunt, well spaced gears. ...

I find it to be a competent vehicle (2013 Camry SE here, almost identical for 2014) and a huge step above the 2013 Corolla.

I agree with most of Nick's review, except for the transmission programming. The shift quality is consistent, and the ratios are good, but as Hokiefyd has written before, it has some awful programming when it comes to torque converted lockup.

- Good: If you start from a stand-still with moderate acceleration it is great. You get: 1 unlocked, 2 unlocked which quickly transitions to 2 locked, 3 locked, etc all the way up to 6 locked.

- Bad: If you then slow down to a fast creep, Toyota programmers have the bad habit of refusing to give you second, it sticks to third (making for some lethargy at first) or if you slow sufficiently you get first. You can only get a downshift to second by a good stab on the go pedal.

- Bad: If you do the same launch up a hill it shifts into third too soon then promptly unlocks the TCC. Boo! Yuck! Second with the TCC engaged, or even sticking to third with the TCC was better! It seems to me the problem is the uphill logic is only applied to the TCC, not the shift points. But I dislike uphill programming changes anyway, my foot on the go pedal is "the #1 program" after all, I don't want the computer changing power output on its own.

- Bad: If you are cruising at urban speeds (under 50 MPH) and start up the mildest of hills the transmission will unlock the TCC for nothing, with no throttle provocation. Who asked for more power? It is only wasting fuel.

- The transmission programming sometimes tries to downshift with TCC engaged on deceleration so the engine can cut fuel, but it is so inconsistent and irrational about when it does this! Example, it will often do this aggressively as you coast up a hill, killing speed very quickly, but driver never touched the brake and now needs to push the go pedal again to reach the stop sign! Then other times as driver brakes gently on a flat or downhill and it won't bother yet this is the ideal situation. And yes, I appreciate that the engine must be warmed up sufficiently for this 'feature' to activate.

Anyway, my wife has this plain 2013 SE so I've driven it enough to experience the above many times. Overall it's a very good plain midsize car. Her 2013 came with Michelin tires that are decent, not those infamous EL400s.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I agree with most of Nick's review, except for the transmission programming. The shift quality is consistent, and the ratios are good, but as Hokiefyd has written before, it has some awful programming when it comes to torque converted lockup.

Yeah, I try not to grind that axe too much, because I don't know if they've made progress since the 2011 model that I had. But the transmission's programming is one of the reasons I traded the car off. I decided that I had to drive it in sequential mode to enjoy it.

The Camry would have an EXCELLENT powertrain if they'd let Honda program the transmission. I never touch the gear selector in either of our current cars. They simply know what to do. It's a shame because that 2.5L 4-cylinder is just a sweet engine. VERY smooth, and with a decent growl to it. Many indeed might mistake it for a small V-6. Great engine. Great transmission in terms of hardware. Needs better programming (or at least did; maybe 2014s are better).

I don't know if I'd mistake the 2.5 for a V6, but then again my DD has the torque of a V6 so my perceptions are warped.
wink.gif
[Something like 240ft-lb at 1,900rpm.] But otherwise I'm quite content with our 2.5L Camry. I've wrung it out a few times, and it's got zero excitement; I don't feel like it pins me back or is capable of snapping my head back, even if I wind it out. But it feels torquey otherwise, and sufficent for any time other than WOT (which is not often). The fact that the gas tank was sized for V6/auto means the I4/stick has a pretty decent cruising range.

I'm going to dissent here and state that I have not had a single problem with the transmission programming.

Mine is an older model, and is utterly and completely boring. I bought it to be a box on wheels, and it is exactly that. Wife is extremely content to use it as a mommy-mobile. Plan to drive for 250k/10yrs. More would be nice but that is the current plan.

Great review Nick!

No pics?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Ha! That was going to be my first question.
smile.gif

Nope. Actually left TWC back at the end of January.

Anyway I figured people would find this review interesting. The camry was NICE. I like a car that I can put through the onramp and have some fun personally, but it wasn't bad.

Compared to modern American cars or Subaru the Camry is just meh. A Buick Regal blows it out of the water and a Fusion is much nicer inside as well.

What gets me with Toyota and no one gives them [censored] for this is they don't change anything. They still use the same window swtich's that were in my 1993, come on GM would get flack for that.

Well, I guess hattares and my neighbor disagree...he had gotten a Buick while his Corolla was getting repaired and returned it the next day for a Camry...The Buick just floated and felt numb to him, while the Camry was a significant improvement in every way.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Compared to modern American cars or Subaru the Camry is just meh. A Buick Regal blows it out of the water and a Fusion is much nicer inside as well.

What gets me with Toyota and no one gives them [censored] for this is they don't change anything. They still use the same window swtich's that were in my 1993, come on GM would get flack for that.

Alot of people just want their car to work, and don't really care about the minor differences in the interior quality or design... Toyota still has the reputation of reliability for now atleast.
I'd think that Toyota and Honda would have the most owners who would say that they would be happy just buying a new copy of their old car as well.
Also it seemed to me, having grown up with both japanese and american cars in my family, toyota and honda would make sure their window switch is cheap and reliable. GM and others would give up a little reliabilty to do a bad chrome job on their window switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back