FRAM Extra Guard Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Why not just pretend like the only filter FRAM makes is the Xtended Guard ? That's what I do.

Well to be technical its called the Ultra now. The Xtended Guard was very very similar to the Ultra, but the efficiency wasn't quite as good if i understand Motorking correctly.

I haven't used Frams for over 25 years but I would use one now over a Purolator. I have not heard any stories about Fram which now plague Purolators.

Quote:
...,Perhaps "TEARolator" should stick until we hear at least something from them about the matter.

Or perhaps NOT. That may be your opinion which you are entitled to. Just because a company doesn't send in a company rep whenever something negative is said or shows up on a message board doesn't mean they aren't listening, observing or addressing an issue. And the poster in this thread making that sensational and useless comment has long had a very clear agenda against Purolator, even before the recent wave of tears began showing. He has shilled for his current favorite filter flavor and company for quite some time, even on threads of Purolators showing no issues whatsoever. A review of posting history prove that to be the case, this thread yet another example. I personally don't use the term for the extra guard as it serves no purpose and orange can name works without the two other descriptive words or initials. Same goes for said Purolator description.

And having been on this board for some time now, I can say that those with a sensible and non sensational opinion of the orange can have long said the biggest issue is cost for construction as compared to equivalent competitors. And those with the sensible and moderate view of the orange can are in the majority here imo despite what acronym some may choose to use. My .02

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have not heard any stories about Fram which now plague Purolators.

There is no evidence that anything "plagues" Purolators.

A tiny non-random sample of Purolator oil filters presented on BITOG show defects in filtration media from an unknown cause the effects of which are indeterminate.

The pictures shown seem to indicate a QC breakdown in either assembly or media material, which could well be upstream from the manufacturing process.

It is likely that Purolator is aware of the problem and has determined the cause and instituted a fix.

I am unaware of any manufactured product - filters, automobiles, guns, appliances, tires, artifical joints, you name it - that does not from time to time exhibit sample defects.

So, do you think I should clear the shelve at this price:

FRAM Extraguard Oil Filter
Model #: PH3614

$1.59

Sayjac, Wilhelm -

What are you two thinking? How dare you inject common sense and rational dictim into this conversation? Clearly you're not on board with the whole Filter-Basher-Brand-DeJour philosophy ...
Shame and a pox upon you both for relying on data and facts.

Don't you know that the OCOD, WCOD, and any other COD is the root cause of all the dead vehicles laying about our concrete infrastructre? Every time I see a vehicle stalled by the side of the road, I automatically know with 100% certainty is was a Framolator that caused the unnatural demise of said conveyance.

You are hereby admonished, your filter-monger card priviledges are suspended, and you are to pay for your transgressions by uttering 10 Hail Molys and 5 Our Filters.

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac

And having been on this board for some time now, I can say that those with a sensible and non sensational opinion of the orange can have long said the biggest issue is cost for construction as compared to equivalent competitors. And those with the sensible and moderate view of the orange can are in the majority here imo despite what acronym some may choose to use. My .02

Good post.
01.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Every time I see a vehicle stalled by the side of the road, I automatically know with 100% certainty is was a Framolator that caused the unnatural demise of said conveyance.

I have seen "Tear-O-Lator" a good bit, but I like the Framolator better! Where do I get a couple.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I have seen "Tear-O-Lator" ...

"Pure-Oil-Later" = Purolator

"Toren-Media-Later" = Torenmlator

grin.gif

Or perhaps NOT. That may be your opinion which you are entitled to. Just because a company doesn't send in a company rep whenever something negative is said or shows up on a message board doesn't mean they aren't listening, observing or addressing an issue. And the poster in this thread making that sensational and useless comment has long had a very clear agenda against Purolator, even before the recent wave of tears began showing.

That he has a different filter preference is obvious. And Motorking goes above and beyond the call of duty. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't be nice to hear something from Purolator, particularly from the perspective of those who have had issues. It's easy to say, "We can't help you because you disassembled the used filter," and I completely understand that - Purolator can't have someone else doing the autopsy for them. But, even some lip service would be nice. Of course, they could have found and solved the problem in the interim without any of us knowing a darned thing about it. Heck, it could have been something that resolved itself when and if something underwent adjustment on the assembly line.

As you know, my opinion on the orange can is what you described - cost for construction. It's nowhere near the cheapest filter on the market here, not by a long shot. Being more expensive than a Wix for some applications and a Hastings for most applications is simply unacceptable.

Quote:
...That he has a different filter preference is obvious....

In case you misunderstood my reference to the sensational and useless comment (characterization would have been a better word) was not as regards Motorking but rather the poster initiating said useless characterization in this thread. Making that clear, I'll stand by what I posted.

Originally Posted By: Red91
So...I take away from this a feeling of satisfaction having purchased the Extra Guard. Seems like a fine filter for moderate OCI's.

It is indeed a fine filter for any "normal" OCI (as determined by the OEM). Depending upon application, I could easily see it in use for 5k-7k miles, and perhaps more if the conditions were right.

In case you misunderstood my reference to the sensational and useless comment (characterization would have been a better word) was not as regards Motorking but rather the poster initiating said useless characterization in this thread. Making that clear, I'll stand by what I posted.

After rereading my post, I mangled my wording beyond recognition. The "biased poster" and Motorking were not meant to be the same person. Motorking is biased, too, but I suspect that's a matter of pride for him.
wink.gif

Basically, my first sentence was referring to our author of the phrasing, whereas the rest was about Jay, and probably should have been in another paragraph or delineated in some other fashion. I apologize for making a mess of things.

If you change your oil each 3000 miles to 4000 miles and use a good high quality oil and you drive normal. Basically you do not street race and basically drive normal. I see no reason why you cant use the FRAM EXTRA GAURD. However I do think there are oil filters for the same $ or even less $ that are better... For instance Motorcraft is great oil filter.. By Pass is at the top of the Filter and its built like a TANK.....

However if like FRAM then go for it.. Or if you are into the HIGH MILAGE OIL FILTER then go for the FRAM HIGH MILAGE and it will serve you just fine.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
However, the Tough Guard (TG) and Ultra (XG) are a good step above the Extended Guard (EG, orange can).

Don't go confusing things. The OCOD is the Extra Guard. The Xtended Guard is the forerunner to the Ultra (hence the "X" in the part number). http://www.framadvantage.com/oil-filters/xtended-guard.php

The Ultra is now the XG. Just bought an XG9688 for my mothers Elantra. XG sounds much better than FU IMO..
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back