Poway to Death Valley National Park and back-Gas $

Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Poway, hence my name. Poway is just north of San Diego, just east of I-15. My daughter and I just got back from Death Valley National Park (I used to be a Park Ranger there and have explored the area by myself, with friends, my son and now my daughter). When I filled up at Poway last Friday at the Mobil station, I paid $4.03/gallon for regular. Saturday, I topped off at Baker, California at a 76 station for $4.29/gallon. 60 miles up the road at Shoshone, California, gas was $5/gallon. During our stay at Death Valley, the lone gas station (Furnace Creek) was at $5.53/gallon. When we headed to explore the east side of the Park, we topped off Sunday at Beatty, Nevada, for $3.36/gallon (Beatty is about 45 minutes NE of Furnace Creek). On the way home Monday, I topped off at Victorville for $3.89/gallon. When I got back to Poway, gas at the Mobil station was now $4.13/gallon.

All prices shown are for regular.

1)California
2)supply & demand - if you're the only game in town, you can charge pretty much what you want.(re:furnace creek)

Originally Posted By: earlyre

2)supply & demand - if you're the only game in town, you can charge pretty much what you want.(re:furnace creek)

Also figure transport costs to hole in the wall locations. When I was in the business, transport costs were about 4 cents/gallon (usually about 7500 gallon load). Some small places paid almost 10 cents/gallon due to location, and some of those locations weren't too bad to get to. Can't imagine how much is charged to a real out of the way station 100+ miles from any terminal.

Yeah I think we all remember that Furnace Creek station, it's a Chevron, right? They're tucked in a nook of Cali surrounded by Nevada; wonder if they have to special order smog-free gas from way far away.

But, you know, any port in a storm.
laugh.gif

$4.29 is a record low for baker! i wont buy fuel there due to the high prices. the station on fenner on i40 is always real expensive. fenner runs on huge generators 24\7 for power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back