Mazda Recall-Spiders in the Fuel Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would keep the ball rolling. I am an advocate of bashing all brands equally.
grin.gif

This recall is rather unique. One would think that the engineers should have considered spiders during the design phase. http://www.usatoday.com/story/driveon/2014/04/09/mazda-spiders/7494105/

"The automaker is recalling Mazda6 sedans from the 2010, 2011 and 2012 model years because spiders can weave a web in an evaporative fuel hose, blocking it and causing executive negative pressure
21.gif
to build up in the fuel tank. Too much pressure, Mazda warns in its filing with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and a fuel could crack and leak. Fuel leaks can lead to a fires."

executive negative pressure???? Is that like yelling from the bosses up above??

Ford has cars that catch on fire. Toyota accelerates unintentionally. GM, keys fall out causing the car to shut off in traffic.

Mazda: We have spiders in the gas tank ...

The old recall was to put a little spring in that valve. What is interesting though is the gas tank cannot build enough "negative pressure" to collapse it. The fuel cap would not allow it, assuming that is functioning properly.

These nanny state recalls are becoming really ridiculous. What is it going to be next? A recall because you could get a paper cut with your owner's manual.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
These nanny state recalls are becoming really ridiculous. What is it going to be next? A recall because you could get a paper cut with your owner's manual.
A light bulb just came on over some lawyer's head. lol

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138

The pressure build up can cause a fuel leak...seems like a pretty reasonable recall to me.

Spiders love to get high on gas. They make their nests in venturi tubes in gas appliances, and they get aggressive when you try to clean them out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back