Major stabbing incident at highschool in PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a major stabbing incident at a high school near Pittsburgh. A 16 year old student armed with two knives stabbed several students. It is a little confusing exactly how many are injured. Some three or four students are in critical condition and some twenty people were injured. Obviously it does not take a gun for there to be a serious incident.

That's just sad. If somebody wants to hurt a bunch of people, they will no matter what.

Now we will have to register our pocket knives.

Originally Posted By: morepwr

How nice to think about yourself when there are hurt kids out there.

This is sad
frown.gif
. WHY are people doing stuff like this? If you want attention ... go jump your car or something.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
That's just sad. If somebody wants to hurt a bunch of people, they will no matter what.

The media doesn't seem to be interested in knives. Only guns. Which is why this isn't all over the news

I am not trying to make this post about guns. But obviously if somebody is determined enough they can harm a lot of people regardless what kind of weapon or weapons are used.

I think we need a lot of work in the mental health area in this country and I also think there needs to be solutions to problems like bullying in schools. Now, I am not saying there is any evidence of bullying here in this incident but the problem of bullying in schools does need to be addressed.

So just to be clear before fanatics see this post-I AM NOT trying to make this post about guns. Two knives were apparently used in the attack. It is not the weapon that is the problem-it is the person who commits the attack.

I AM NOT trying to say that bullying had anything to do with this event. Bullying may or may not have been involved.

I AM NOT saying that the person who committed this attack was mentally ill. But you have to wonder about the mental condition of a person who will stab several other people and how that mental condition came in being. And I don't think anybody will argue that we need improvement in mental health treatment in this country.

Nihilism in the digital age. Not enough hard work to keep you occupied and well paid. Too many people in the cage. No genetics to cope.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

The media doesn't seem to be interested in knives. Only guns. Which is why this isn't all over the news

It's dominating CNN and MSNBC. Although some injuries are serious, it looks like everyone injured is going to pull through. The 20 victims range from ages 16-60.

CNN finally found something else to talk about. They were talking about that Malaysian airliner 24/7. Before I started to watch FOX News I watched CNN. I still sometimes watch CNN if some major event takes place. But they have really gone downhill. There is obviously a lot of news to cover-not just the missing airliner or a major stabbing at a school. These are major news events but they are not the ONLY news events. I don't know what you call that kind of news coverage. Maybe 'soap opera' news coverage?

I am not going to comment on MSNBC.

Last edited:
I did not hear about that. That was really good. There were also reports of students trying to apply direct pressure on wounds to keep students from bleeding out. There was a female student who did that. Some heroic people.

My thoughts are with the injured.

Thankfully the attacker did not get hold of guns for this attack otherwise surely there would be multiple deaths.

Originally Posted By: Sam2000

Thankfully the attacker did not get hold of guns for this attack otherwise surely there would be multiple deaths.
You should NOT have said it. Now it is open season for the counter argument "only if other students were packing, this would not have happened"

Please lets stick to the facts so we can have a coherent conversation and not get this thread locked.

Once upon a time, when this country was sane, our thinking was that those who abrogate the social contract (e.g., commit major crimes) had given up the right to total protection from that social contract. So the notion of suing a homeowner -- of the law allowing you compensation -- because you broke your leg while burglarizing his home would have been unthinkable, even laughable.

Unfortunately our Modern State will probably seek to use this to restrict the rights of the law-abiding instead.

I'd heard that one quick-thinking student set off the fire alarm in order to get people to evacuate -- i.e., to get away from the knife-wielder. What do you want to bet the young hero will be suspended (or expelled!) for setting off a fire alarm when there was no fire, or for not obeying the school's rigid lockdown/"shelter in place" procedures?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: Sam2000

You should NOT have said it. Now it is open season for the counter argument "only if other students were packing, this would not have happened"

There were three (presumably unarmed) security guards and a resource officer (cop) there. Seems like high security compared to my suburban 1990's experience.
frown.gif

And Security couldn't be everywhere at once, though one of them reached the attacker.

Ah, the answer is to out law schools. I'll stop there as this will lead to a locked thread. I'm sure some parental guidance somewhere along the line would have helped, this coming from a guy who carried a knife to school from the first grade until.....well come to think of it I still carry a knife.

YMMV Smoky

I saw the story on the BBC so I guess the Press IS 'all over it'

It seems most students were hurt in the rush to escape, so their injuries were (apparently)quite minor.

It was also reported that the aggressor used a Slashing technique, which, I would assume, is less likely to result in a fatality.

But very sad all the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back