new car, what to protect paint from sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 2014 Toyota Rav 4.

Great car.

I park it in the garage. I was wondering what I should apply to the paint to protect it from the baking central texas sun.

IMO it's not what to apply knife, but what to reapply over and over to ensure uv exposure is minimized.

Wish I had the holy grail answer too...

I think you're going to want some sort of 100% synthetic/polymer sealant/coating. Anything with a natural wax (carnauba) will not hold up to sun like that.

Edit: If your car is a light color then as JHZR2 said frequent reapplication of a product that contains natural wax would work. If it's a dark color there's not much point.

Last edited:
I use Harley gloss from the Harley dealer on my bikes.The UV protectant in it keeps the plastic windshield from fogging out, and keeps the paint looking good. I use it on my '02 Explorer and the paint looks like new. I use it on the windshield and wipers. Water beads off and it extends the life of the wipers.Easy on and off.,,

Last edited:
Texas wouldn't be that much more intensely sunny than Southern California during summer. And I definitely would still recommend Collinite waxes.

Though it's been my experience that in very hot sunny climates waxes actually last shorter than in rainy cold climates. People think rain will wash away a wax which in my experience it really doesn't. In really hot weather wax just seems to evaporate off the car and the protection will be gone in a couple months even if the car has never seen a drop of water.

With that said Collinite will last 2-3 months in blazing sun when kept outdoors 24/7. Garage it and you can expect it to last much longer. I'd say Collinite would be the foolproof choice rather than trying out various OTC sealants.

Perhaps another that some say lasts longer in sunny climates is Finish Kare FK1000P. It's claim to fame is it's a "high temperature" wax. But it does have a tendency to stain trim whereas Collinite won't. You can actually wax the plastic trim on your car with it.

The key with either of these waxes is applying it thin. So thin you barely know it's there. After application it should just look like a smeared fingerprint. If you can see a waxy haze you've applied too much and will have a difficult time buffing it off. It makes it very economical. One tin will last you years and years.

I can recommend Collinite 915 especially. The fanatastic look it gives where metallics really pop, along with being a little easier to work with than 476s makes it worth it even if the protection might wear off a few weeks earlier.

If you want something OTC with good protection and great looks. Meguiars Ultimate wax works really well. My experience has been it doesn't bead quite as well as Collinite but it does last nearly as long. This one's a synthetic sealant but really sealant vs wax won't make much difference in the scheme of things.

Last edited:
Paint sealants and waxes are quickly becoming yesterday's technology. Paint coatings are becoming the preferred option for both pro-sumers and detailing professionals.

Why? They last longer, allow for easier washing (since the dirt does not stick as easily, and releases more easily), offer better protection (sacrificial layer) and some have a better appearance.

I have used Opti-Coat 2.0, Opti-Coat Pro and CQuartz UK. To date, I think CQuartz UK is the best bang for the buck. It has excellent gloss, very good protection, easy application, and 18-24 months of durability. Duragloss also introduced it's own coating recently and it promises similar benefits....but I have not used it.

I agree with gofast182 here. A polymer type protectant that has some protectant against UV will offer the best protection. I use NuFinish here in Cape Coral Florida and my vehicles look like new when I sold it 8 years later. I wax completely once a year and redo the top and hood at ~ 6 months. Ed

Wash the bird poop and bug guts off, and forget it. Modern paints will outlast modern cars- the days of 'clear coat cancer' are long gone. Clean regularly, wax maybe once per year if at all. My daughter's '99 Cherokee never saw a garage or wax until 2008, and only rarely since then. Except for some bug/bird etchings the previous owner let happen, the paint is nearly perfect anyway. That whole appearance products aisle at the parts store is pretty much a wallet-suck and little more. If you want to take care of your car, do it with wrenches not rags.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Paint sealants and waxes are quickly becoming yesterday's technology. Paint coatings are becoming the preferred option for both pro-sumers and detailing professionals.

Why? They last longer, allow for easier washing (since the dirt does not stick as easily, and releases more easily), offer better protection (sacrificial layer) and some have a better appearance.

I have used Opti-Coat 2.0, Opti-Coat Pro and CQuartz UK. To date, I think CQuartz UK is the best bang for the buck. It has excellent gloss, very good protection, easy application, and 18-24 months of durability. Duragloss also introduced it's own coating recently and it promises similar benefits....but I have not used it.

I would agree with this theory as long as the OP can get the paint primed and apply the coating correctly ( not hard to do just keep an eye out for high spots on applying ) for the coating. in the long run for a daily driver it will offer more protection as a sacrificial layer instead of your clear coat for marring and scratches induced by washing etc... considering how much thinner the paint and cc is these days I would say The Critic comments are worth noting. with a coating I can run a paint cleaner across it from time to time ( if it needs it ) and keep the original cc in mint condition. if you plan on keeping your ride fro a while saving the original cc is very important. having detailed cars for many clients I would steer people in this direction if they asked my opinion. for the people who like to apply a wax or sealant often , nothing wrong with that as long as you keep up on it. I find most of my clients do not keep up on maintenance other than washing once in a while . the one area that you should consider a coating on for sure is the wheels, it makes keeping up with the maintenance on them a lot easier. for me i would apply to paint , wheels, taillights etc....

Last edited:
Thanks. Duragloss recently came out with a coating. Its composition appears to be similar to the other 2-year coatings on the market.

The Duragloss kit may be marketed towards the DIYer, and is obviously from a brand that many DIYers are familiar with. From the early reports, it has some properties that traditional users are used to (i.e. slickness).

http://www.duragloss.com/Enviroshield-Ceramic-Coating-System-Kit/ENVIROSHIELD-CERAMIC-COATING-SYSTEM

I have not used the product, and I’m not sure if I will…since I’ve been very happy with CQuartz UK. But this may be worth looking into.

I'm a fan of NuFinish. Been using it for years. No longer have the time to spend detailing my vehicles, so I'm happy with NuFinish.

I'd second Meg's Ultimate, Collinite, or even Nu Finish. Any will work well and are priced OK. Coatings are really great, if you are willing to do a full correction and really prep the paint. As for me, I may go that route one day, but with the durability of today's products, waxing 2-3 times a year is some therapy for me!
smile.gif

As for just washing the bugs and bird droppings off...sure, that will work, but if you REALLY want to protect the car and keep it looking NICE, you'll need to put in some time here and there. The car care aisle is a money sucker for some, but I like my car to look its best...always.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Wash the bird poop and bug guts off, and forget it. Modern paints will outlast modern cars- the days of 'clear coat cancer' are long gone. Clean regularly, wax maybe once per year if at all. My daughter's '99 Cherokee never saw a garage or wax until 2008, and only rarely since then. Except for some bug/bird etchings the previous owner let happen, the paint is nearly perfect anyway. That whole appearance products aisle at the parts store is pretty much a wallet-suck and little more. If you want to take care of your car, do it with wrenches not rags.
smile.gif

Not entirely true. While today's paint coatings are certainly more advanced. In some cases like Infinity you have self healing paint, Mercedes has Ceramiclear, and GM's better cars use a special two-step clear. Each is very durable. And yes as long as you keep it clean it will last likely the life of the car. But keep it waxed and clay it regularly and you'll better protect yourself from the possibility of paint "cancer". The caveat with these newer harder clears is that they are applied very, very thinly. So regular waxing is still a great benefit to protect what's there even if what's there is already very good. You can't fall into the line of thinking that your clear coat is maintenance free, that's actually the exact same line of thinking when clear coats were originally introduced in the 1970's clear coat's were assumed to be the new "maintenance free" paint, no more oxidizing and turning your rags colors when you polished them. But they eventually succumbed to the weather and would peel. Even worse was the late 1980's to early 1990's on the first round of VOC crackdowns. In my memory the early 90's gold and teal Chevy Silverado pickups were just so prone to this type of early clear coat peeling.

If you've seen some of my posts you'd notice I always make a big stink about not polishing paint too much and it's because paints are getting thinnner and thinner from OEM's. So regular waxing is definitely good, regular finish polishing on the other hand not quite as good but not all that bad for paint. And forget about seasonal compounding to remove 100% of swirls. Your paint may look good but I can pretty much guarantee it'll fail if you compound on a regular basis.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nt.#Post3326840

And if you think clear coat "cancer" is a thing of the past. This is not exactly a vintage car.

civicpeelingclear_zps88539982.jpg

And I see it all the time with Honda's in particular. In fact all of my high school friends bought Honda Civic's and all of them to this day have clear coats that failed even the ones that waxed regularly. My Ford Focus of the same vintage as my friend's though had paint that was darn near immaculate when I sold it. Only lost about 4-6 microns in thickness in the clear over the course of the 8 years I've owned it. And that's pretty much due to me just wanting to keep it shiny and relatively swirl free. Not perfect mind you because I'm very well aware of the issues of thin paint.

Last edited:
Cheap and effective. Look where I live and I recently retired as a detailer for my livelyhood.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2269_71516870

Yes there are coatings that are better for a hundred times the cost. If they are worth it to you then go for it. If not then use this on the cheap and watch your car shine for months on end and be protected. One of the great secrets of the car world. Easy on, easy off, do it twice a year. Nothing to it. I earned my living with it.

Some questions about these new coating products like the Duragloss Enviroshield mentioned by The Critic. I hope it is not off topic for the OP.

1. Are you guys confident regarding the safety of these coatings for the long term? Convince me that some years down the road the clear coat will not turn bad due to some unforeseen chemical reaction between the clear coat and topical coating.

2. What about the environmental contaminants such as metal and/or dirt specs that get imbedded into the finish? Clay and/or ironx is used to rid the surface of these things. Won't these long term coatings need to be cleaned annually of imbedded debris?

3. What are the "high spots" mentioned as possible during the application? Is this stuff that thick that it can have visible high spots?

4. Could a first time diyer really screw this application up? I'm thinking the DuraGloss might be much more user friendly to us newbies. But still, I am a bit leery to try it.

5. Can it be removed if needed? How?

Thanks, Mr. Critic for dangling this new product before me just when I was ready to do my biennial Zaino order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back