Battery Dead For 8 months During Cold Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother has a sears die hard battery that was made in 5/2010 It was stone dead for 8 months sitting outside in a parts car in the cold this winter, i will try to charge it but what are the odds it will be ok?

Is it under warranty from sears? there is no receipt it was in a parts car that we purchased for the block.

Dead that long? Its toast. It probably froze if it had no surface charge and internally its busted.

Last edited:
Just had the same thing, dead for 4 months, put in a new battery yesterday. Could only get the old battery up to 60%.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
can i bring it back to sears for another one??

Yeah they should be able to tell by the date on the battery how old it is plus you're probably in their system. It is 4 years old so I doubt they will give you a new battery free of charge. Probably just prorate it and give you credit towards the new one.

i did not buy it we bought a parts car and it was in there it looks brand new. its on the charger now and seems to be charging...we will see.. I would never buy a die hard anything anymore. My days buying anything from sears expired about 15 years ago.

Theres a 50 chance itll charge to near or around full cranking amps, its always worth a try especially when most parts stores will charge them for free. Ive revived a few completely dead flooded batteries.

If it stops taking a charge before it should by the math (about 90 amp-hours-- so most of a day at 6 amps) things don't look good.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
can i bring it back to sears for another one??

Yeah they should be able to tell by the date on the battery how old it is plus you're probably in their system. It is 4 years old so I doubt they will give you a new battery free of charge. Probably just prorate it and give you credit towards the new one.

All bets are off if you tell them you let it sit discharged for 8 months.

Pro rated warranties on batteries are a scam. I had a battery die after 3 years. I was going to warranty it ... but with the prorated "warranty" it would have been MORE than buying a new battery ...

Yes, battery warranties can be a rip-off.

I had a Bosch battery from Pep Boys die in less than a year. It turned out that because I had used about $20 credit from the pro-rated warranty of the last one that had died early, that the previous warranty start date carried over. So after paying $90 only months before, the replacement battery would be costing almost full price and have essentially no warranty.

I no longer buy Bosch batteries, and now generally avoid Pep Boys for anything where a warranty matters.

Last edited:
Made an appointment with my BMW dealer for a battery replacement on my son's Z4M.

The battery in the car was replaced by them 9 months ago.

Car gets light (weekend) use and started fine for the first six months.

Over winter, I put a trickle charge on the battery on a couple of occasions.

After paying top dollar with the dealer because they have to "program in" the battery to the car, they are giving me some static about the current replacement.

Same battery at Sams is $100. I'll go that route if they don't provide some better customer service.

Dealer is going to lose my business if they don't change their approach.

If it were mine, I charge it at 2A with a Batteryminder which will go into 'equalize' and hold it at max volts (pulse) for 2-3 days. It might just survive.
My brother has a sears die hard battery that was made in 5/2010 It was stone dead for 8 months sitting outside in a parts car in the cold this winter, i will try to charge it but what are the odds it will be ok?

Is it under warranty from sears? there is no receipt it was in a parts car that we purchased for the block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back