The Dark Side is drawing me in (Orange actually)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was waiting around K-mart and decided to check out their Fram oil filters.

Their PH2 w/ the black grip/coating didn't look that bad.

Are they really still **** poor oil filters? Can I run one for 7500 miles?

Both K-Marts here in Clinton Township also sell the STPs. That would be a better choice - or venture over to WalMart for their house brand SuperTechs.

The "upgrade" ones other than the basic sure grip are decent; metal end caps etc. All of them still use that ultra cheap bypass valve however. There's still way better filters out there for way less money.

Their construction hasn't change for years. All the previous discussions should still be relevant. What looked so good? Does that orange glow hypnotize people or what?

-T

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
What looked so good? Does that orange glow hypnotize people or what?

-T

lol.gif
I'm beginning to believe so...

Better filters to be had for the same (or less) dough.

I had the misfortune of changing oil on 2 cars that had frams this weekend.

Arrgghh...first off, they never want to come off, and second, they crush like beercans when you try to get em...I've never had any other filter do this. On one car, a 4 cylinder toyota, I had to effing PB Blaster the filter and get it off with a channel-lock. Told my friend to never ever use them again. On his other car, the gasket actually came off of the filter...a little too easily, if you ask me.

screw Fram.

They are still shyte filters unfortunatly...

What realy blows me away is that Honda is using Fram as OEM replacement filters...

Im sure Frams do the job, but there many other filters on the market that do better for the same price

quote:

Originally posted by metroplex:
I was waiting around K-mart and decided to check out their Fram oil filters.

Their PH2 w/ the black grip/coating didn't look that bad.

Are they really still **** poor oil filters? Can I run one for 7500 miles?

Only Fram to ever use is a Fram Extended Guard (X2).

Metroplex,FRAM is your Father,go to the dark side.
grin.gif

Just kidding,I too have thought about using them again.

I used them almost exclusivly on an 84 Chevy 4 cyl that at last known milage was around 161-162,000+ miles

I dont know if it still runs or not but they didnt seem to hurt it any.

If you must get the sandpaper grip, pick up some advance auto store brand filters... purolators @ $2.48 ea. The label comes off easy and you have a "generic" red grippy filter.

G.M. should have painted the Aztec that orange color
grin.gif
...if that's all it took to sell them...I go by my sense of smell to buy things...was raised by wolves
gr_eek2.gif

I've been to Murrays, Advance Auto, Autozone, Pep Girls, and K-mart... I haven't seen a single filter under $2.99 other than Motorcrafts and Supertechs at Walmart (which are quickly going out of stock and being replaced by Fram).
I haven't seen STPs or non-Frams at K-mart for the past 3-4 years. They used to have Penske filters (Wix) that I bought at $1.97/filter! Then they phased it out and I stopped shopping at K-mart.

I've seen Frams at $3.99/filter while others are generally $4.99/filter or higher.

The way I see it, the filter media shouldn't clog during a normal OCI on a healthy motor. So that leaves the bypass valve and ADBV as being the "wear" parts in an oil filter.

Has anyone cut open a recent Fram to check on these 2 parts (on say, a PH2 or PH8A, common filters for Fords)? Or are we still going by the minimopar oil filter study that was done 6-7 years ago?

If I had to use a Fram filter I would use the Tough Guard instead of the orange Extra Guard. Fram filters still sell well because they are one of the biggest names in filters regardless of quality. Another thing that helps is that race fans see a lot of Fram HP-1 racing filters on Nascar,World of Outlaws cars, and Top Fuelers and think that if it's good enough for the pros then it's good enough for them. They don't realize that the pros use oil for a very short period of time and that the HP-1 isn't the same as the basic cheapo Extra Guard.

quote:

Has anyone cut open a recent Fram to check on these 2 parts (on say, a PH2 or PH8A, common filters for Fords)? Or are we still going by the minimopar oil filter study that was done 6-7 years ago?

I cut apart a ph8a 2 years ago and it was still the same thing. Looking down the filter I still saw all the same parts as I did 2 years ago.

If they change anything they will make it cheaper, not better.

We get PowerFlo which is also a Pure one they just leave the 'S' off the part #, it even says 'made by Purolator' on the box.
It's about $1 less than a Pure one

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:

quote:

Do a search, there have been tons of studies done on lots of different filter models.

Two of my favorites.
wink.gif

http://www.lesabret.com/filters/filter.html
http://www.oilfilterstudy.com

-T

My original question was regarding a RECENT fram filter. I've read the 8+ year old minimopar oil study site back around 1998.

Both the filter studys I listed are recent and neither are the minimopar study.
confused.gif

-T

Just some more people cutting apart oil filters like the minimopar oil filter site...

zero real tests of filter life, ADBV lifespan, bypass valve lifespan, etc... at certain miles? I'm not saying "buy fram now", I'm saying a lot of this long-life filter crap is no doubt some type of marketing hype.

I'd like to see some lab tests/runs that show cheap filters fail at XYZ miles vs Amsoil/Top brand filters.

I'm willing to bet even the cheap filters don't clog nor do their valves wear out... unless there was a study that proved my statement wrong (which I'd like to see nonetheless).

quote:

I've been to Murrays, Advance Auto, Autozone, Pep Girls, and K-mart... I haven't seen a single filter under $2.99 other than Motorcrafts and Supertechs at Walmart (which are quickly going out of stock and being replaced by Fram).

The Advance Auto by me has their red "grippy" house brand oil filter in those sizes for $2.48. From the outside it looks the same as the Purolater Premium one. Even the code number stamped on the can was very similar to each other.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back