Suggestion on oil and weight on 64 Vette 327

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 64 Convertible that has been sitting for over 2 years. I have no idea what oil has been used in it in the past. The oil is full and looks fresh but think I should change it anyway. Suggestions on type of oil and weight to use in N. Texas. Considering going to synthetic and leaning toward Mobil 1 High Mileage but reply on Corvette forum said stay away from synthetics. Engine shows on valve covers to be 365 hp 327 but not sure. Suggestions on brand, type and weight are appreciated.

I believe Mobil 1 high mileage 10W30/40 would be a fine choice. M-1 0W40 or Quaker State Defy 10W30/40 would be good choices to.

If you would prefer to use a Heavy Duty Diesel Oil one that is a 10W30 would be my preference that is dual rated for gasoline engines. Some examples are Rotella, DELO, and, Supertech, and Delvac.

If you want Synthetic M1 0w40 or 10W30 High Mileage will both work nicely, dino Rotella 10w30/15w40/Valvoline VR1 10w30 would be my top picks.

Another synthetic choice would be Rotella T6 in 5W-40. Not sure why the Corvette forum is attempting to steer you away from synthetics unless it is the age-old never-die myth about synthetics causing leaks...

I believe the 327/365 horse used a 30/30 cam. These were solid lifter cams with pretty stiff valve springs so you may want to factor those thoughts into your choice of oil and weight. If the redline on your factory tach is 6,500 rpm it was either originaly a 365 horse four barrel car or a fuelie which was 375 horse. Nice find.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I'd go Rotella T5 10w30.

+1. T5 would be an excellent choice for that engine.

Any Rotella, you need lots of zddp. Back in the day I owned a 56 chevy 2d ht with that engine and a T-10 4 speed. The oils at the time were not like today. I used to run a straight weight 30w HD.

Edit: Just a thought,pretty sure that engine uses the old style rope seal on the rear main. That might be an issue with synthetic oil. If that's the case, any of the rotella oils would work well.

Wayne

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Something with a lot of ZDDP.

I have no affiliation with Amsoil, but they make an oil designed for these sorts of applications, Z-Rod.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=ZRTQT-EA

If you want to stick with dino juice, then I 2nd the recommendation for an HDEO such as Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc. I would go with 15w40 for Texas summertime driving.

Nice car!

that'd be my suggestion as well.

I'd bet that if you could find an original OM, 10W-30 would have been the recommended oil.
If this engine really does have heavy valve springs, then a little more zinc than is found in most current API spec oils (including dual rated HDEOs) might be in order.
Most 10W-40s contain more ZDDP than current API specs allow for in lighter grades. Defy or Maxlife 10W-40 might be a solid choice.
Just don't go crazy on it if you use ZDDP additives, since too much is detrimental to wear.
I doubt that you'll drive this car enough to get enough use from any synthetic to justify its use and there's nothing magic in any synthetic in reducing wear on short OCIs.
OTOH, since these aren't cheap used cars anymore, to say the least (I can remember when a mid year Corvette was a fairly inexpensive used car), you might want to consult our resident Amsoil guy, Pablo, for recommendations.
Incidentally, you've bought a very neat car.
I am officially envious.
First year for this long-lived generation (the '68-'82 cars were really just re-bodied versions of this chassis) and the ragtop beats the split-window coupe IMHO.
How about some pictures?

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Something with a lot of ZDDP.

I have no affiliation with Amsoil, but they make an oil designed for these sorts of applications, Z-Rod.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=ZRTQT-EA

If you want to stick with dino juice, then I 2nd the recommendation for an HDEO such as Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc. I would go with 15w40 for Texas summertime driving.

Nice car!

From what I have gathered PCMO's from the seventies and early eighties had around 1000 PPM of ZDDP. I believe the ZDDP levels on a group I PCMO for 1964 had less or close to API SN PCMO's of today.

My dad had a 64 coupe back when I was in high school. It was the first vehicle that I ever changed oil on when I was 15 or so. He even had me drive it up on the ramps while he watched. Talk about nervous! And that clutch was really heavy.

Anywho, he would put Pennzoil 10W-40 in it with a Fram orange can and he never had any problems with it. It too sat for several years at a stretch without being run. The only problem that caused was the fuel pump would lose its prime and I had to squirt gas into the carb while he cranked it over.

That was back in 1990, so the oils now are infinitely better than they were back then. If he still had it now, I'd be running Valvoline VR1 10W-30 in it with a P1 or Wix filter. Since it was just a summer car, no need for a 5W or synthetic. They didn't run all that hot even in the dog days of summer, so no need for a 40 weight.

He also had a 69 302 Chevy engine it it for a little while while the 327 was being rebuilt. That thing could really scream with the 302, as opposed to the 327 which was not so great off the line but could really pull hard at the top end. I miss that car.

Request for pictures. I'll give it a try.
64 Corvette Convertible
Code:
[IMG]http://i58.tinypic.com/ws6vs9.jpg[/IMG][code]

57 Bel Air Sport Coupe
[code][img]https://onedrive.live.com/#cid=A4869FB0946030FE&id=A4869FB0946030FE%21819&v=3 [/img][code]

Last edited:
Start with 10-30 conventional of any major brand
This is what most guys that I knew that had vettes ran
Some ran straight wt also,30 or 40
Also use a top filter like Fram Ultra or Puroltor Pure One
Nice car,i hope you drive it and dont just look at it
These were made to drive and enjoy

Both are lovely and both are even on correct tires.
The Bel Air looks really straight and smooth down the sides as though it had never seen anything like rust or even minor dents and dings.
What is the Corvette painted with and how much work was it to get that ancient fiberglass so smooth?

That Vette is absolutely gorgeous. My dad's was far from original being a dark candy apple green with gold accents and gold aftermarket wheels, and sidepipes.

I think I prefer the original look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back