Break in Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago we used to hear of break in oil. That term and even the oil seem to have disappeared for years but now it seem to have reappeared. I do think some mfrs that recommend a synthetic oil currently use a break in oil to promote better wear in between parts. Could be a blend of sort???

My question is a friend of mind bought a new John Deere tractor. The manual says it has break in oil and should continue to run this B I O for 500 hrs. He has slightly less than 100 hrs on his tractor. Upon calling his dealer they sent a truck out for a service call. The mechanic either didn't have or didn't put the same B I O back in. He (mechanic) changed it over to the recommended oil for over 500 hrs. My friend is worried that will cause problems! Got any thoughts.

I doubt it will matter overall.

However, to comply with any warranty concerns, I'd just make sure it is well documented that the DEALER SERVICE REP did the OCI work, and make to to note what product was used. Presumably he (your buddy) got some kind of reciept that would call out the hours, date, product, etc; that should suffice should any issue arise.

Last edited:
Quote:
Years ago we used to hear of break in oil. That term and even the oil seem to have disappeared
Modern machining techniques in the engine factories turn out an engine ready to run on regular oil. Break in oil is sometimes called for on overhauled engines where the re-manufacturing shop doesn't have the techniques and machinery of the factory.

In your friend's case, I agree with the advice above. Most likely the engine break is complete. Most will happen in the first few hours.

After 100 hours it should be fine...for a long time that was their recommendation. Excessive blow by and/or oil consumption would be result of inadequate break-in.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5452_fb_BreakInOil.htm

If I am remembering correctly, the break-in-oil was introduced after a large number of warranty claims for excessive oil consumption. I know someone that bought a brand new 4955 that used a lot of oil...the dealer ended up doing some engine work on it and using a different oil for break-in. This was around 1990, and I think also around the time that JD starting using 15w-40 for their factory fill...which they apparently stopped doing.

We have followed their recommendations of running it for 100 hours in freshly overhauled engines (some JD, some not) with excellent results.

Deere does offer a break-in oil, but all of the Deere equipment I have had over the years stated 100 hrs. on break-in oil, then to regular fill.

I honestly can't believe any engine requires any more than 100 hrs. on break-in oil. If it were me I wouldn't worry about a thing and run it.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Modern machining techniques in the engine factories turn out an engine ready to run on regular oil.

I would disagree slightly: its not so much the machining, its the cams. Nobody uses sliding-contact cams anymore, and that ONE part was the item that truly required special care during break-in. If you build up an old-school engine today, and you use the most modern and precise machining, modern piston and ring designs, and modern bearings, you STILL have to break it in UNLESS you also convert it to a roller cam (which most people do).

That doesn't necessarily mean "no synthetic oil" either- what it really means is the proper type of assembly lube applied to the cam, and the proper moderate RPM run-in procedure applied during the first hour of operation (for heaven's sake DON'T let it get below 1500 RPM!). Been there, done that- and you can still have an old-school engine that uses synthetic oil from day 1 and "breaks in" properly- but really its just the cam, and its essentially done after an hour of run time.

All engines, including the most modern designs, still break in as the rings seat better and better for several thousand miles, and you can see the wear metals dropping steadily over a period of up to 10,000-12,000 miles in people's used oil analyses posted here. But with roller cam engines you just don't have to do anything particularly special anymore.

I agree with your post and advised him so. He's concerned about warranty as he tends to believe the many horror stories concerning dealers refusal to warranty an engine or other component because the work wasn't done in a timely fashion or the correct mfg parts weren't used etc. I questioned the "break-in" oil for 500 hrs and ask him to re-read the manual. Sounds like a long time to me. If he's so concerned I'd call the dealer and talk to them about the situation and get it resolved. Just thought I'd see what others thought.

Break in oil for gasoline engines typically has higher ZDDP to aid cam break-in, and lower detergent levels because detergents compete for ZDDP for space on engine components. The basestock was conventional because that could promote better ring sealing.

I'm not sure how Deere break in oil is made. Diesels would always need high detergency to handle soot.

Sure it's not 50 hrs.500 sound like to long.
Last 2 Deere diesels I've had required 50-100 hrs on break in oil.
Deere uses a 10w30 for break in.

Jim

Originally Posted By: MIGT
Sure it's not 50 hrs.500 sound like to long.
Last 2 Deere diesels I've had required 50-100 hrs on break in oil.
Deere uses a 10w30 for break in.

Jim

I had also questioned the 500 hrs and he was going to read his manual again. Talked to him this morning and he said that the manual advised to use the break-in oil for around 100 hrs. He's feeling better now. Thanks to all who replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back