New Castrol 0W-40 ? Has 5W-40 been replaced....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't come up on WM website - but they probably haven't updated it anyway. I need to drop by the local WM on Wednesday anyway, will check and see if this stuff is there.

Well, went to WM to check...EMPTY! No GC 0/40
frown.gif

But at least they have a slot and a price on the shelf for it for it, so that means they do carry it...
Guess I will check back again sometime later...
Right now, I have some BC 0/40 and Pennz. Ultra Euro 5/40, so don't need this at the moment.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Yeah people were sort of staring ... a bit, when I took that photo.

It's all perspective. If I saw someone taking a picture in the oil aisle, I would see the sense in that. When I see someone take a selfie, I'd like to toss their phone onto the freeway.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
As previously reported by others, Castrol 0w-40 in 5qt jugs now available at your local Walmart...

P1000235.jpg

P1000239.jpg

Yes, I picked this up tonight and used it for an oil change in the vw. Had used m1 0w-40 before, but the oil fill cap says to use castrol, the price was the same as the M1, and the pour point, fwiw, is phenomenal.

So in it went. Right or wrong, better or worse than m1 0w-40, it's what we're running now. Made in Germany but not for sale outside of NA for whatever reason...

I'm guessing this is the correct pds?

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/EDGE_Professional_European_PDS_July_2012.pdf

Interesting. Two products seemingly meeting all the same specs, same stats, yet one having a different pour point. Odd.

Still, one way or another, and though it isnt an end-all, be-all spec, that's lower than what Ive seen for mainstream oils in years. Ill be the first to NOT buy the Grp III vs IV arguments and value proposition wife's tales. But that value is pretty darn good, IMO.

What basis do you have to say that is the one we get in the states?

The pass from bp USA in Wayne NJ indicate -60pp.

VI always seems the same anyway.

This is the us pds:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/9A32D5E3D16D0C5B80257C1600466D1C/$File/BPXE-9AJFL6.pdf

I guess the main thing I was basing it on is it carries the same name as the one in Germany, Edge 0w-40 A3/B4. Also the viscosity at 100C and 40C are the same.

The link you provided shows the pp at -60F and -53C, which doesn't match any of the three links I posted, but it's closer to the A3/B4. Also, the professional A3 I linked to that has the pp at -60C has a viscosity at 100C of 13.1 which doesn't match up to the link you posted.

Originally Posted By: glxpassat
Looking at the German site, there are 3 0w-40 formulations.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 This is what we get in the states, PP = -50C

SLX Professional Longtec 0W-40 PP = -57C

Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-40 Contains titanium, PP = -60C

Edge Professional replaced the SLX, I believe. Look at the dates...the SLX sheet is from 2007. IIRC Castrol is dumping the SLX naming and is turning that into Edge Professional.

SLX has been replaced by Edge Pro. There are actually 3 products just in Australia so you may have more than one too.

You should be able to get the correct TDS from the Castrol world repository

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back